Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,819   Online: 1107

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Can someone tell me about a #13 safelight filter?

I seem to be on the verge of an RA-4 darkroom and I wonder if the safelight is even worth trying. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Useless, as far as I am concerned.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have problems becoming disoriented when you are in complete darkness? If so, the #13 filter can help.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am pretty good in the dark.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can load film holders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And I have color printed without a safelight.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have used one while printing solely for the purpose of helping to put large sheets of paper into processing tubes. It is still very dim, but I had less kinks in the paper that way. Your time under a safelight with RA-4 is very limited before fog is induced, so be careful.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Jim,

The only one worth it (that's easy to find) is a Thomas Duplex. I don't know if the filters are even available any more but I printed with them on in a community darkroom a few times and it was amazingly bright (still much darker than b&w) and caused no fogging.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This may be of some help for discussion:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...845/ti0845.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one that I use when printing RA-4. I have a roller processor, and find loading exposed prints in in the dark is fine, but sometimes things have been set down on the lid, and they go flying when I open the lid in the dark.

Mostly it helps figuring out where you are turned in the room. It was more useful before I had fitted the Omega D5 in as my primary enlarger. It has illuminated dials for flitration that help me not bash my head against the enlarger head, as I was wont to do with the prior enlarger without use of the #13 safelight.

Mine is an indirectly aimed little safelight - glass of the size of the Kodak duplex safelght. 7.5W bulb.

You need to be in the dark for quite a while before your eyes begin to sense that this thing is even spilling any illumination out at all unless you are looking directly at it.
    my real name, imagine that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin