Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,685   Online: 857

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I am giving a two day printing workshop in Riverside Ca this September, this may be of interest .
    www.defendthedarkroom.ca is where you would find the info.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Welcome aboard. I have the same enlarger. They are fantastic. I use a Componon S 2.8/50 and have a 100mm 5.6 Componon S and an 150mm El Nikkor 5.6. The latter 2 are for sale. If interested in either or both let me know. Don't waste that great machine by using inferior lenses. Good luck and if I can be of any help, just let me know. Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    I am giving a two day printing workshop in Riverside Ca this September, this may be of interest .
    www.defendthedarkroom.ca is where you would find the info.
    Had I done a workshop like this early in my printing career, it would have saved me lots of money, frustration, and time.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm in the same spot as the OP, and truly wish I could find such a seminar. As it is, I'm left to learning from books, APUG, and hard lessons.

Perhaps we can compares notes along the way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the same enlarger. For switching from 35mm to 4x5, LPL recommends changing out the diffusion box. Exposure times can get long when using the 4x5 box for 35mm.

VC filter are not required for the VCCE head, the upper window is the scale for Kodak Polycontrast III / Polymax III and the lower window is Ilford Multigrade IV and compatible papers. Took me forever to find that little tidbit of info.

Enjoy as it is a great enlarger.

David

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Hawke,

Welcome. If these folks are still around, you might consider one of their workshops. The prices seem reasonable.
    Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    ... and hard lessons.
    Seminars or lessons can really help but the "hard" lessons have to happen either way.

I will say though that these hard lessons aren't really that "hard" unless its a commercial/business lesson.

The paper, developer, and time are simply the cost of the experience, a cost that is pretty easy to bear and one that you get used to.

It does settle down as you get better at "reading" negatives, as you build skills, and as you get tools like an enlarger meter that helps you read the negatives, but it doesn't really go away because most negatives and scenes are different and each print can be a piece of art.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to the fun.

Your route is quite unusual, in that most people today don't start with a brand new, currently manufactured, top quality enlarger.

KHB Photographix (in Canada) is a useful resource for many enlargers. Here is their page for your enlarger (note that the model numbers vary depending on which country the enlarger was distributed in): http://www.khbphotografix.com/LPL/LPL4x5.htm

If you don't have the original manual for your enlarger, KHB most likely can sell you one.

They can also sell you other parts. KHB isn't particularly cheap, but they are good.

You will need a negative carrier, lens and lens mount for each format you use. There are often items like that listed here in the APUG classifieds. lightwisps post above links to one appropriate choice, but I would suggest you do some wandering there to get a sense of what is available.

There are a lot of good quality enlarging lenses available used. Some of them are priced so reasonably as to permit trying more than one.

In addition to optical quality, it is worthwhile considering convenience features like illuminated f/stop scales and the ability to quickly and accurately switch between wide open and a chosen stop-down aperture.

In addition to Schneider Componon and Rodagon there are Nikon enlarging lenses in the high quality tier. There are special, top quality versions as well, like the APO lenses. There are also some lesser known brands (e.g. Minolta) and re-badged lenses (e.g. Beseler Color Pro) which are of excellent quality.

There are also lower quality versions made by the high quality manufacturers - best to ask if you have questions.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I've learned quite alot from just what you guy's have been throwing at me.

it may be that money is not a problem
    This is really not the case. The 4x5 is something I managed to scavenge at a dirt cheap price

I will also look into the workshops if time allows. Seems like these would help quite a bit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From what I've heard from you guys, I've found a few things on ebay, but ultimately I need a 35mm carrier which is quite hard to find. Since I can't post on the classified, does anyone have one they'd like to sell?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin