Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,742   Online: 879

Shooter
    Multi Format

Help with LPL 4550 XLG

Can't thank you guys enough for your help getting my darkroom set up for enlarging. I have almost everything set, and I'll be ready once my ENLARGER is ready to go.
    That is the problem I bring to you today. My enlarger is refusing to cooperate.
    It is brand-spanking-new, right out of the box, assembled no less than an hour ago. Everything is fine and dandy but the lamp is not turning on. I hear the hum of the head running, but the light is refusing to shine.
    I am wondering if any of you have had an experience like this with the LPL 4550 XLG (dichro color head). It has been kept in storage for quite a long time, so I am partially suspecting it to be a lamp problem, but I was wondering if it might be something worse.

Some technical support would be much appreciated!

Yours, &c.,

Hawke Gihm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any chance the bulb is faulty? Or possibly slightly loose?

I'd remove it, check that it's ok and if so, screw it back in - could be a simple fix. I had a similar problem with a 6x7 LPL, and it worked fine, but I did note the globe didn't last quite as long as I thought it should.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The contacts between lamp and lamp holder do corrode and suggest giving these a clean. On my LPL C7700 the lamp connectors are two small pins which push in to a ceramic holder, it is reccamended that the ceramic holder is replaced from time to time.

Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have a timer in the circuit? As I recall, there is no manual switch for the lamp. The switch on the power supply only turns on the fan.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have the same enlarger and love it. Recently moved so I had to pack up the enlarger. When it was all unpacked and assembled I was so excited, Time to plug it in and print!! I had the same problem. Mine is about 13 years old so the bits and pieces might be a bit different. Mine has a small black box labeled "Saunders/LPL regulated power supply that only has an of-off switch. It has to outgoing cords. One is a bit short and says to timer. Nope, it plugs into your surge protector. The other much longer cord says 120vac 60HZ. That plugs into the socket on the timer. Mine is a Graylab 450. Only has one socket that you can put a 3 pronged plug into. Anyway a guy on APUG told me to do all this and it worked like a champ. I had already changed to a new bulb and was looking up how to repair the power supply. Problem solved. Hope this works for you. You have one hell of an enlarger. Don

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Regarding the cords: shouldn't the cord marked 120V go to the wall socket and the cord marked timer plug into the back of the timer that says "enlarger". Also, some electronic timers seem to have issues with this enlarger.

To test your enlarger, you can plug both plugs into the power strip/wall socket.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by lightwisps View Post
    I have the same enlarger and love it. Recently moved so I had to pack up the enlarger. When it was all unpacked and assembled I was so excited, Time to plug it in and print!! I had the same problem. Mine is about 13 years old so the bits and pieces might be a bit different. Mine has a small black box labeled "Saunders/LPL regulated power supply that only has an of-off switch. It has to outgoing cords. One is a bit short and says to timer. Nope, it plugs into your surge protector. The other much longer cord says 120vac 60HZ. That plugs into the socket on the timer. Mine is a Graylab 450. Only has one socket that you can put a 3 pronged plug into. Anyway a guy on APUG told me to do all this and it worked like a champ. I had already changed to a new bulb and was looking up how to repair the power supply. Problem solved. Hope this works for you. You have one hell of an enlarger. Don
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys, I'll try all of the abov, and report back to you in a few days. It might be that I don't have a timer in the circuit as bdial is suggesting. I was just testing the thing and I don't have the timer yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tested and confirmed. Circuit without the timer is the problem.
    Thanks guys!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin