Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,503   Posts: 1,543,430   Online: 846

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3e8

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Chromega D burning bulbs

I have a Chromega D2 that I put a dichroic head on a few years back. Lately the prints were getting less sharp, and the cooling fan seemed to be on the way out as it was vibrating more than usual. I replaced the original fan with this one, which matches the specs of Omega's recommended replacement quite closely. I got it wired in fine, but as soon as I powered the unit back up, the fan cam on, but the bulb burned out immediately. There was significant corrosion on one of the pins, so I figured the socket might be going bad. I replaced the socket today, and it's still burning out bulbs. Has anyone had this problem or have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Bryan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Bryan,

Make sure you are still getting 24V AC to the bulb. Things might have gotten crossed up during repair.

Neal Wydra

I had a problem with bulbs burning out before their time and an electronics friend of mine dropped the voltage somewhere going from the timer but your problem seems to be somewhere else
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was going to suggest the socket because those ceramic things are notorious for corroding into dust
    Luckily they are easily replaced.

Sounds like a short somewhere but I am not someone to troubleshoot electrical problems.

I will follow this post and please keep us posted because I did the exact conversion you have done and any knowledge is golden.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two more possibilities; vibration and current surge.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That entire socket thing that is white clay/porcelain of some sort can corrode and short out. I can barely remember how this is configured but did you replace both the socket and the bulb or just the bulb.

If you search the archives here there is some very useful threads and at least one of them has photos of this part of the Super Chromega II head.

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The new fan could have somehow resulted in a voltage regulation problem in the power supply.

I would try going to classic-enlargers.com and the help forum. Harry Taylor there is an expert on Omega enlargers.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Corrosion inside the socket will definitely do it. You should replace this. Cooling is an issue, and as you probably already know, you should never
    let your fingers touch the reflective part of the bulb. Best to wear cotton gloves. Another serious problem which isn't generally known is that a
    lot of bulbs nowadays are sheer crap. You use an ELC bulb probably. Try to find Japanese made Ushio or some older US made inventory. Lots of
    these el cleapo bulbs coming out of China won't last very long at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's the socket thread
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/1...placement.html

thanks to IC Racer...he'd be the dude to consult

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And another that has alot of pictures and thoughts on the innerds of the head
    thanks again to the IC man!!

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/6...a-ii-120v.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin