Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,491   Online: 905

Shooter
    Medium Format

Using 6X6 to 35mm condenser lens in a 6x9 enlarger

Hello Everyone,

I've got an old Durst 609 enlarger, made for medium format up to 6x9 but also capable of enlarging 35mm with the (suggested) accessory "SEZUCO" condenser lens. I have been able to enlarge 35mm successfully up to a certain print size but lately have been trouble making larger prints without the Sezuco. I have the opportunity to purchase the condenser lens from a Bogen Super 66, which was designed for 6x6 but capable of 35mm enlargement with it's own additional condenser lens.

Assuming that the lens will fit my machine, should the 6x6---35mm condenser lens provide better 35mm illumination than my Durst 6x9 enlarger does without any additional condenser? Even an improvement would be acceptable until I can find a Sezuco or until I can get a different enlarger altogether.

And please, I know that the real answer is "get a new enlarger", but I'm currently out of work due to an injury. I have a nice stash of paper and chemicals from when I was working regularly and would love to take this recovery time to work on some of my 35mm negatives without significant additional expenditure. The Durst Sezuco lens is apparently a mythical beast, proving extremely difficult to procure. I'm hoping to at least gain improved illumination.

If anyone has an idea, even theoretical, it would be appreciated.
    Paul Cretini

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jeddy-3 View Post
    I have been able to enlarge 35mm successfully up to a certain print size but lately have been trouble making larger prints without the Sezuco.
    If the problem is focusing a new condensor will not help. If even illumination is the problem see if there's an alignment for the bulb to condensor distance.
    I doubt the condensor from another enlarger maker will help you.

On a side note I have a LPL 7700 which is capable of 6*7cm with the double condensor and 35mm after adding a third lens on top. I never used the third lens since it added light loss and did not improve the evenness.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ATH,

Thanks for the reply. The problem is not with focusing as I have the proper lens boards for each focal length. The problem is with illumination. It can usually be corrected by burning the edges but I was hoping for a quick fix. I can indeed change the bulb to condenser length and angle but with minimal improvement.

I guess I'll not mess with mismatched parts and just make "normal" sized (up to 8x12) enlargements with my 35mm negs for now.
    Paul C.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about a diffuser?
    Roscoe made several in addition to their gels.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Just to make sure - you have a proper bulb designed for enlargers (i.e. opalescent bulb)? Not just a matte bulb from the supermarket?
    FWIW here's the manual
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm
    I think I may have misread what you wrote, but can't see where exactly. You have irregular illumination on a 35mm neg, but can print 6x9 without problems using the same condenser lens(-es) ?? That sounds odd.

Are there any format dependent alterations to do, besides changing the condenser? Possibly the condenser height or bulb position need to change for 35mm. Apart from that sort of adjustment, using a smaller-format neg holder than the format of the condensers would just lose some light not going through the neg, rather than change the distribution of it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin