Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,083   Online: 963

Shooter
    35mm

Red and Amber Darkroom lights

Is it true that if you have both a red light and a amber light on in your darkroom, the combination of both light sources will fog your print paper? Meaning you have to pick one or the other to use. I have a mixture of both in my cobbled together darkroom and to my knowledge it has not been a problem using both types of safety lights, but I may be mistaken(it would not be the first time).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NDKodak View Post
    Is it true that if you have both a red light and a amber light on in your darkroom, the combination of both light sources will fog your print paper?
    No, it's not the combination, but the amber may cause a problem.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    First let me say that no safelight is completely safe. They will all cause fog eventually. The choice between red or amber is determined by the material being used. Use a safelight filter recommended by the paper manufacturer. What counts is the total amount of light in the darkroom rather than any mixture of red and amber.

Amber is preferred for most papers since it provides the best visibility. The human eye has a problem with red light and visual acuity is poorer than with shorter wavelengths.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    I like to bounce the safelight off the ceiling or wall. I can see and I have never had a problem with fogging.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin