Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,661   Posts: 1,481,595   Online: 912

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I learnt to be careful when holding the lid while applying pressure to the foot pump. There is some danger of injury to the hands...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The water is the key. When I first got the expert drum and the foot pump I didn't know to fill it with water. It usually startled me as the lid exploded off the tank. So I started opening it by tapping the lid on a 2x4 to gradually push it up. Sometime later I read about the water trick, which has never failed to gently open the tank. However I do it a bit differently than the video in that I fill it right up to the top. You need to open it in a sink this way, but it's much gentler on the tanks.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I remarked to a friend once how hard it was to remove the lid, so he gave me a pump. The first time I used the pump I popped myself in the lip with the lid it came flying off so fast. Now I just don't push the lid down tight (3010), I just push enough so it is snug and even. I can easily get it off with my fingertips working around it. I haven't used the pump in a decade and I never have any leaks. I suppose if you use a full Jobo setup you might need to fix the lid more firmly with the cogs and all, but I use a Beseler roller base, so it all works fine for me.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Exactly, this is the Point.

It is not about lessening the chance of damaging the tank, as the (static) pressure situation would be the same in both cases as I indicated above.
    But the expanding air can give the coming off lid a thrust.
    The less compressed air volume, the less thrust.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, water in the tank makes for a simple and safe removal. Fill at least 90% or you will shoot it off like a canon. The major fill makes it come off easily in your hands.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    As far as i know, the only recommendation against over filling is the increased strain on the rotation motor, transfer gears and lift arm - can you please direct to the issue with the damage to the tank?
    I have looked through all my Jobo paperwork but can't find reference to it, I am still sure I read it somewhere, but I may well have been mistaken and maybe just dreamt it, but if so, it feels so real!

Shooter
    Large Format
    You should've taken the physics test.
    Joe Freeman

Shooter
    Large Format
    Wow, I didn't know it was such a problem for folks!
    I drain the tank, attach the pump and with one hand holding the "cork" in I gently pump one or twice. Easy does it! For at least ten years and a few thousad sheets of film, no problem!
    Michael

"I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by msage View Post
    Wow, I didn't know it was such a problem for folks!
    I drain the tank, attach the pump and with one hand holding the "cork" in I gently pump one or twice. Easy does it! For at least ten years and a few thousad sheets of film, no problem!
    Isn't it amazing how successful one can be when they follow the manufacturer's instruction?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Isn't it amazing how successful one can be when they follow the manufacturer's instruction?
    +1 !!!
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin