Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,364   Online: 736

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, maybe I will - and I can tell you it ain't going anywhere! I just want to gain some experience with both heads...... I think that's a good thing and should certainly teach me more. Doing that will give me more skills (hopefully) and maybe..... maybe at the end I can make better prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Stick with the condenser.
    Stick with the diffuser.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Stick with the diffuser.
    Stick with the confusing dispenser.
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Have both, use both. IF THE NEGS are developed to print on grade 2 with either enlarger, they will be very close. That means a longer development time for diffusion. The differences are slight so you will have to have them side by side to see the differences. Overall contrast is the same as you adjusted the time in negative developer to compensate. The condenser print will have more snap in the low tones, the diffuser will have less in the low but more highlight separation. A diffusion machine burns in highlights much easier.

The condenser will have 1 grade more contrast than the diffusion. Taking the same neg and printing with #2 condenser and #3 diffusion does not produce the same print.

If your filters are shot, then either buy new or purchase Roscoe Cine Gels from B&H. They are made to cover stage lighting for theater, but you can use them for VC printing. Buy green for soft and blue for hard. Buy 1/4 and 1/2 to fine tune. The man who made Aristo lights put me on to it. Remember yellow filters out blue leaving red, which the paper does not see, and leaving yellow and green which the low contrast layer reacts to. Blue filters out yellow so the high contrast layer activates. I printed an Aristo head this way for years. The Roscoe filters are large so you need to cut them to size and put them into a cardboard frame, but you will have two lifetime supply from one sheet.

A color head will also work as a diffusion head . Use yellow for low and magenta for high contrast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    condenser and color heads, both make great prints as long as the negative was devekoped to gihavethe appropriate contrast for them.color heads like s negative with a bit more contrast and they hide minor flaws such as dust and grain.but either light source will work if handled appropriately.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Regarding the combinations of yellow and magenta filtration on different manufacturers' diffusion-heads, start off from the values on the information sheet inside the box of paper. It can also become intuitive to pick a grade based on the neg, make the initial exposure (with burning-in or dodging) and then add more or less contrasty exposure(s) where needed using higher/lower contrast filtration - possibly effectively the same as you were doing using the filters previously, but adjusted to allow for the different way of setting the contrast level.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been using the colour head for a while now and its working out very well indeed. There are advantages to both systems I think and from my now (limited) experience I wouldn't necessarily recommend one of them over the other. I haven't yet had a situation where I couldn't get the contrast level I wanted, so all good there.

Its working out very well for me at least....

Fran

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fran View Post
    Hi all,

So I have been using a durst laborator 1000 with a condenser head since I started printing and have gotten great results with it. I mainly split grade print and my 0 and 5 filters are just about shot!

I've heard that condenser heads can be more contrasty, but not sure if that's universal opinion?

Is it worth going ahead and hooking it up?

Fran
    Perhaps you should explore straight printing on both before using split grade printing?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello Fran;
    Go to the Ilford site and download information on the Multigrade filters and variable contrast papers. Quite a bit of info concerning filter grades and coresponding Durst colorhead enlargers. Should be worth your time, and I applaud your efforts. Steven.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Tony Egan you are funny. I like that. Confusing Dispenser.

I'll venture that a condenser is fantastic for 35mm and a diffuser is the one to beat for 4x5.

Since a color head is sort of a diffuser, you have a compromise on your hands. If dialing in the contrast filtration gets you where you want to go ... great.

But some of the color heads (my little Durst for one) can't go above 100 (1.0 in density terms) for any one color. And the Grade 4 filter is way up in Magenta.

So you might still require a drawer or under the lens filter to hit those extreme graphic effects.

You might as well keep the condensers clean and carefully stowed away. You'll need them one day.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin