Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,542   Posts: 1,572,778   Online: 897

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Memphis Estate Sale--lots of photo stuff

A friend sent me a link to this estate sale this weekend in Memphis. I'm not associated with it in any way, but looks like a fair amount of darkroom equipment, cameras, lenses, paper, film, etc. Also 16mm movie films and equip., if you're into that. Might be worth checking out if you are in the area: http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sales/482685.aspx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm about 2 1/2 hours from Memphis. I see that it is a commercial estate sale company. Not necessarily bad, but hate to drive that far and find they were pricing the camera gear at the top of the price range. Or that the cameras needed a lot of attention.

But my son lives in Memphis, so maybe I can con... err get him to take a look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Holy Moly, this guy had his s**t together in the darkroom. I'd love to buy all of it. Nice sinks. I can only hope my estate sale looks like this when I die. But it won't. It will be a disorganized disaster area.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not that I'm saying don't do it, but does anyone feel a slight sense of morbidity buying a recently deceased fellow printer's stuff? I guess another way of thinking would be that he'd rather it see it go to people who will value it rather than junk it.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Not that I'm saying don't do it, but does anyone feel a slight sense of morbidity buying a recently deceased fellow printer's stuff? I guess another way of thinking would be that he'd rather it see it go to people who will value it rather than junk it.

I think that when I died and someone bought all my camera and darkroom stuff, for once my wife finally would also get something out of it :-)
    Last edited by TheToadMen; 08-17-2013 at 07:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since a lot of people make money in estate sales it's interesting to think about just how much value is lost through death. Granted, these aren't gold bars we're talking about... But I'd imagine resale during estate sales isn't anywhere close to 1-by-1 sales on eBay and the like. Someone is making money, that's for sure.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On my way to Memphis to check it out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikon F3 HP WITH Nikkor P 105 2.8 lens. They want $249. Battery is dead, so can't test, no guarantee, no return. So think I'll pass...

They want $3 a roll for film that expired between 1999 and 2008.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ambaker View Post
    Nikon F3 HP WITH Nikkor P 105 2.8 lens. They want $249. Battery is dead, so can't test, no guarantee, no return. So think I'll pass...

They want $3 a roll for film that expired between 1999 and 2008.
    A little bit high but the lens is 100$ easy leaving one with a 149$ F3HP so if it works I'd say that's not too bad a deal. The film should be 1-2$/roll IMO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The sale continues tomorrow, and they said they would be interested in offers tomorrow on what doesn't sell today. So using some of my points to spend the night in town.

Lots of large size photo paper in a freezer and a fair amount of film. They have an enlarger 35mm/med format. But they are asking $1450 for it. Not happening on my budget.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin