Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,221   Posts: 1,532,328   Online: 1051

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

How to attach black out fabric

I'm darking out a window and have decided to go with the Jo-Ann Roc-Lon budget fabric, as I've seen many people on here use it. It would be nice if I could open and close it occasionally but not crucial. Just wanted to know what people on here have been using to attach it around the edges so light doesn't creep out the sides?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    You could sew velcro strips to the fabric and stick the velcro it is to attach to on the window frame.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Check out black plastic tarp which is used for covering crawl spaces. It's so cheap it's almost disposable. If you are printing at night, it's obviously much easy to block out the night than the day.

Get a putty knife and use it to tuck the fabric in wherever light is leaking through. You'll be surprised how easy this is once you've got the bulk of the light blocked out. You can kind of push it into the cracks by the sash.

Alternately, get some wide masking tape and just tape it to the wall.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I blocked out the window with a couple of layers of the garden plastic sheet and velcro on the sides but attached to a dowel stick retained above and below with "L" hooks. For the two doors in my darkroom I used black out fabric as you mentioned. Also attached to dowels both top and bottom generously over-lapping the door frame but only attached with the "L" hooks on the top and easily removed and rolled up like a scroll when not in use. They have worked without problems for almost forty years.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use combination of painter's tape and duct tapes.

I first tape the "stuff" to the wall using painter's tape. These are easily removable and thus does not cause damage to the surface. But they are not light tight. Then I go over it with duct tape. These are light tight but does stick permanently (to the painter's tape)

It's been like this for 3 years and it's still holding.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    You could sew velcro strips to the fabric and stick the velcro it is to attach to on the window frame.
    I did this and it worked very well. I was using a laundry/utility room at the time. I bought rolls of Velcro and attached it right round the windows. I then had pieces of blackout material cut to shape. You just stuck them on as required. Alex

Shooter
    Large Format
    My wife sewed velcro tape to the black-out clothe, and it works vary well. One suggestion, though, is to have the sewn part extend somewhat beyond the window's edge. Its surprising how much light can come thru the small holes created when sewn.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Painter's tape WILL damage surfaces if left attached for long periods.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used opaque foams and cardboard directly over the glazings, attached with gaffers tape to their frames. You just open and close the window normally after that, except that the panes are now blacked out, transmitting no light. Usually cheaper than "light proof" fabrics.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I made a timber frame a litle smaller than the window frame. I attached some rubber tubing around the outside edge of each of the four sides. Then I nailed the heavy black plastic around the whole frame. The tubing gives a bit allowing a tight fit as the thing is pushed into place. My window was high, so I had a single horizontal bar across the centre to keep the rectangular shape from bowing inwards. A couple of handles screwed into the frame make it easy to remove.

The only problem is finding a place to store the thing when not in use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin