Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,551   Online: 1072

Shooter
    Medium Format

Confused: Beseler 6x6 negative holder isn't square!

Hi.
    I was just setting up my Beseler 67 to print some 6x6 negatives and I'm a little confused; I went to put a negative into the Beseler #6741 6x6 negative carrier only to discover that the mask in the carrier is isn't square! It's 6.35cm wide, and 5.4cm tall. The images on my negatives are 5.6 x 5.6cm - square. Is this mask designed for 6x6 AND 6x7? Why doesn't it say 6x7cm on it, if that's the case?

Thanks in advance for clearing my confusion :-)

-Jesse

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A #6741 carrier is square, and does say 6 x 6 cm on it.

What you have is the #6742 carrier for 6 x 7.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, except that it actually says 6741 and 6x6cm on it. But it's definitely NOT square. I'm a bit baffled. Maybe it was mis-engraved at the factory? That seems pretty unlikely though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here's a photo of it. It doesn't show any signs of having been modified.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-08-22 22.44.53.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	525.7 KB 
ID:	73344

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The very nature of the piece is modified (man made). Likely someone modified it to suit their needs and did a good job about it. Or it was just miss-stamped.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    The very nature of the piece is modified (man made). Likely someone modified it to suit their needs and did a good job about it. Or it was just miss-stamped.
    I think that someone has enlarged the opening on your negative holder to permit use with 6x7 negatives - but not in the usual orientation.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I filed my 35mm carrier for a full frame. I wasn't as neat though.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    to show the rebate ?
    i love non center weighted images
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Medium Format
    a lot of people file out the opening to suite their needs just about every one i have bought used had been filed some good some ruined if you bought yours used it has probable has been filed. warrenbruce

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This equipment was previously owned by a now-retired coworker. Whoever enlarged the window did an impeccable job. We're mostly engineers, scientists, physicists, and machinists here, so there's a good chance it might have found its way into a water jet, wire EDM or laser cutter. Then again, in with the pile of darkroom equipment I got is also a homemade 6x6 negative carrier made out of matte board, and it looks like it was made by someone with a butter knife and a cast on one arm.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin