Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,402   Online: 821

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like you hobby is computer code and your looking for things to do with it. What ever floats your boat I guess, have fun.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What happens when you knock over your first litre of dektol on the keyboard??

Sorry, carry on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can get keyboards as cheap as dektol.

I'd like to have the computer control my enlarger and keep printing notes, etc.. I don't do f-stop method, and avoid microsoft software dependency or proprietary databases when I can. I just don't have time do cobble something together.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jseidl View Post
    I wanted to include some kind of exposure meter as I have seen in the trialux as well. As I don’t understand how to code, and know even less about electronics, I am a little stuck here. Does anyone here know of a light sensor that can be used for this kind of thing, that comes with a USB connector to read in the values to the computer? Has to be really cheap though

http://www.vernier.com/products/sensors/ls-bta/

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jseidl View Post
    No, but neither does any other stop clock AFAIK. Or to quote myself from the post above: "With the program you'd still have to do all the thinking - meaning you decide on the sequence and times yourself."
    Please, before getting all carried away with this project, go here: http://www.rhdesigns.co.uk/darkroom/...fessional.html

Many of us use them and love them. There is not heavy math involved and it does mostly what you're asking for.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This seems quite different to the RH Designs products and could offer vastly greater potential.

I already use a small pair of programs Wlab/Dlab for my film processing and this can control the more sophisticated JOBO's, i really just use it as a tool to calculate dev time & temperature changes as well as storing some data, a notebook wood work as well but I like the timer function.

The ability to store information about each print using the program here might be very useful to many.

Ian

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First rule of Darkroom club is there is no Darkroom club.
    Second rule of Darkroom club is the computer belongs outside the darkroom.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whatever you need to do to familiarize yourself with the process, do it. Geek out brother and good luck with both the coding and the photos. I think it's an awesome way to maximise on your passions. At some point though, you'll be able to feel your way around printing with HAL ;-)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Not sure why my last post from yesterday had to be approved by a moderator and never showed up here. Trying to repost below.

------
    Ian: That's great! However it is not really straightforward to install. You need to install .Net Framework 4.5 and SQL Express as a prerequisite. Then you need to run a SQL script to set up the DB and the tables. As you mentioned long time experience with Access, I guess it's pretty easy for you. I hope to find time to write up a short installation guide and manual in the next week. Then I'll provide you with a download link via PN. I guess you'll do a dry run first without the relay board? Then I'll leave that pat out in the docs.

dslater: Thanks for sharing your method! I guess keeping it straight forward is the way to go if you get enough darkroom time to get "the feeling". I read "Way beyond monochrome" as it was widely recommended throughout many forums. I don't have the experience yet to judge what technique will be my way of working. For now, that book is my "bible" and I try to follow it where I can. Maybe over time I'll find my own style of working. The idea with the program was foremost to free my brain from the routine stuff and focus more on visualizing / working on the print content.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Regarding the RHD Stopclocks: If I could have afforded one, I'd probably never started the project. See my first post specifically mentioning them. Still would additionally use the computer to take notes and store them for later reference. The metronome and process timer for the paper is just a side benefit.

Regarding MS software: I'd rather use non proprietary software myself. However as I work in an MS dominated environment, learning C# was the obvious choice.

Regarding not using a computer in the darkroom at all: I totally understand this position and respect that opinion. My dad is the same with not using sat navigation at all, but only relying on paper maps (and my mom as the navigator). After 40 years behind the wheel, he probably reaches his destination better than I would ever be able to even with a navigation system.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin