Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,550   Posts: 1,573,051   Online: 829

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    You non-programmers are judging this from a user perspective, not a programmer perspective. The user perspective to using a computer in the darkroom is "take the thinking out printing and make an idiot punching buttons on the computer". Programming is about a desire to understand a process thoroughly, and use the computer to help that process. It requires learning about the process of printing rather than ignoring them. It's about the brains of it rather than the computing idiot.

I don't program, but went to college for it. It taught much ingenuity, teamwork, and problem solving skills that I use regularly in all sorts of situations.
    The one problem with the OP writing a computer program is that he is not an experienced expert printer, yet. If he likes programming, great - and more power to him. But he'll be better served by learning how to get the print he wants, then writing the program.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    As I said, I made a short screencast showing how I use the software. I don't think it's over automated and basically is only a couple of convenience features if you already know what you are doing. It certainly is no sort of "Silver Efex" for the drakroom.
    http://youtu.be/nTrkDpHdq8o

After some comments here, I thought a lot about the suitable approach for me to become a better printer. I don't see how the pure act of setting the timer manually further helps me learning the basic process (which I think I have already burned into my long term memory after all the test runs). I don't see how taking notes by hand on paper in contrast to having the computer record them for me does help me in learning the stuff better. I don't think having an process timer that rings an alarm when it's time to move paper to the next tray will stop me from knowing the process of developing the print. Whnever I try something new, I do that fully manually at first anyway.
    I do think that the most important part is envisioning the final print. Having more time to focus on the way to get there and "working" the print with all the burning, dodging, bleaching, toning, etc. will ultimately be a better investment of my limited time.
    As always, YMMV and I respect these opinions.

My 7 year old son started taking pictures now. I gave him my old DSLR (yeah, I know.. ) and set it to full auto. This should help him to focus on the most important parts IMO in photography: "Good" composing of the picture, having fun and getting pictures he is proud of. When he's outgrown the auto mode, we'll gradually find suitable manual options for him (aperture priority, exposure correction, full manual mode, using film, pinhole camera, wet plate photography, ... ). The other way around may prove to be too discouraging for me, ... erm ... him.

Cheers, Josh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jseidl View Post
    I don't see how the pure act of setting the timer manually further helps me learning the basic process (which I think I have already burned into my long term memory after all the test runs). I don't see how taking notes by hand on paper in contrast to having the computer record them for me does help me in learning the stuff better. I don't think having an process timer that rings an alarm when it's time to move paper to the next tray will stop me from knowing the process of developing the print. Whnever I try something new, I do that fully manually at first anyway.
    Then you're fine. You don't need our affirmation.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Then you're fine. You don't need our affirmation.

No, but you guys made me thoroughly rethink what I do and how I do it. That's always a good thing. And I wholeheartedly thank all of you with much more experience for your feedback.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have found this discussion interesting. I would be interested in getting a copy of your C# code to play with. I would like to investigate it more.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jseidl View Post
    I’ve started to develop a little C# program.
    Can you do it in any other keys?!!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Can you do it in any other keys?!!

Steve.
    Tried it in F minor, but the prints all came out way too dark..

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jon.oman View Post
    I have found this discussion interesting. I would be interested in getting a copy of your C# code to play with. I would like to investigate it more.
    I'll try to set up a project page somewhere, if I can find a free hoster. Before having someone else have a look at the code, I'll have to do quite some cleaning up there. As I kept adding stuff as I went along, I ended up with some serious spaghetti code, redundancies, only very basic error checking etc. I'd be too embarrassed if someone saw it like that.. May take a while though, as I'll be on vacations from Friday for weeks. And I plan to spend that time with the family and in the darkroom.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well if you have the family in the darkroom you should be able to offload any calculations on them. :-)
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I can't. They already have to change filters when I do split grade printing. ;-)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin