Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,404   Online: 718

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Lens for Beseler 23C II for 5x7 from 6x6?

I've got a 50mm and a 105mm, but was surprised to discover last night that I can't enlarge on 5x7 paper (so really that means taking my 6x6 negs to 5x5 in) without cropping. The smallest I could get was maybe 6x6 in.

What lens do I need for this?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi, do you have the 105 on the extended lens board?
    It's seems like you just need a little more bellows extension.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Images
    Try to find a 39mm thread macro extender. I have not looked recently, but several of the FSU sellers on Ebay used to list sets of these from time to time.
    -------------------------------
    Peter Schauss

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The "normal" lens for 6x6cm is an 80mm. But I'm confused by what you mean about you can't print on 5x7 paper without cropping. Are you trying to make 4x4 prints, or are you trying to make 5x7 prints?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    I've got a 50mm and a 105mm, but was surprised to discover last night that I can't enlarge on 5x7 paper (so really that means taking my 6x6 negs to 5x5 in) without cropping. The smallest I could get was maybe 6x6 in.

What lens do I need for this?
    I am confused by this.

Are you trying to do this with the 50mm lens? If so, you need to try the 105mm lens.

And with 6x6 negatives and the 105mm lens the usual problem is with the image being too small, not too big.

If it is the 105mm lens you are using, is your problem related to the amount of bellows travel available when focusing? I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that the condenser adjustment available on the 23CII can affect that.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Maybe it was operator error. Bottom line is that the smallest I could get and still achieve focus (using the 105mm...the 50mm was far, far worse) was about a 6"x6" image.

I'll try fiddling with the enlarger to see if I missed something. Failing that, I guess I'm either shopping for a new lens or an extender.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Not to be insulting, but have you tried the ultra-obvious of moving the head lower on the column?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    LOL! Yeah, that was the first thing. I found that I ran out of "focus room" when I had the image at the desired size. The only solution I could come up with was to print somewhat larger (the 6" square) and accept the cropping.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Do you have the 105mm on an extension board? It moves the lens downward a bit for closer focusing.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't think so. The board is flat, so I assume that means it is "standard"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin