Switch to English Language Passer en langue franįaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,063   Online: 833

Shooter
    35mm

getting paper flat?

When trying to copy old album photos I have put the photo on the floor and shooting from above. But the photo isnīt perfectly flat especially bigger ones 18x24cm and 24x30. Can one use a glass plate on the photo, or is there some special trick or device? I can imagine that the glass gives some reflections and those are not desirable. What would you suggest?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think a glass plate is your best option; just position things so there are no reflections.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Photographing flat art is a bit of a science in itself. Reflections are diffcult.

Paper prints - you could use a vacuum easel to hold them flat, or you can crop them just a hair and use magnetic rulers to hold the edges down. Light the pictures from both sides, at a 45 degree angle, and place the camera above the top of the lights. If you have polarized light sources, that will help in creating a good copy.

You could get a copy stand too, which has the camera mount built in, and the lights, and a flat surface for the items you photograph.

If you weigh down the prints with glass, reflections will become an issue. You might be able to eliminate some of that by using a polarizing filter on the camera lens, but it's going to be difficult at best.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you, Richard and Thomas. Today I will test with the glass. I am a little sceptical, the reflections may be a real headache. A polarizer might be the solution, I will lose 1,5 stops I think. I have no idea what a polarizer does to saturation and tones. I remember seeing color shots where a polarizer has been used and the sky is extremely blue and other colors like "candy" but what happens with a b/w photo. No idea, so far.

Another day at work, another nights in the darkroom. so it goes...

Veke
    Oulu, Finland

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Isn't there a double face Post-It note adhesive available?
    No residue, easily removed etc. Of course I'm assuming this is available in Finland.

Like this:
    http://www.scotchbrand.com/wps/porta...335+4335&rt=r3
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Making your own vacuum easel for use with a home vacuum cleaner is easy to do.

See for example: http://www.penguindigitalarts.com/vacuum.html
    Last edited by Prof_Pixel; 09-05-2013 at 03:34 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added link to sample project

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Just use a bit of masking tape on each corner.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    As Thomas mentioned you may use polarizer... on both the lights AND the camera.

You adjust the lights to be polarized one direction, and the lens to be polarized counter to the lights. (Just turn the polarizer to minimize the reflections).

I use a pair of 6-inch 3M polarizers for the lights that I picked up a while back opportunistically off eBay.

Shooter
    35mm
    thank you, John. Didnīt think of that, I am sure there are such products available here also. I will try. It would be best if the adhesive would be the size of the paper or even a little bigger, just put the photo on it at then after copying cleanly tear it away.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin