Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,473   Online: 1123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Kodak Day-load tank - how to?

Hello friends,

recently I have acquired an old day-load 35mm developing tank by Kodak, apparently a nice gift from 1950s, made of bakelite. It has a cassette compartment with a knife, and a two-spiral reel - looks like some kind of odd bulk film loader. It is exactly the same model as (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW) The question is simple - how on earth should I operate this machine? I can understand how the film should go there, and how to cut the film and pour in the reagents - but the film end obviously needs to be cut in SOME SPECIAL way, apparently! Does anyone know how to do it with such a thing?

Thanks in forward, and regards from Moscow - Zhenya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have one of these. It's not that hard, but I don't recommend using it. The potential pitfalls are many. There is a reason they have not been around for decades.

If you do not have a darkroom, you can still process film. But, you need reels and tanks and a changing bag to load them.

Good luck.

Greetings from Texas.

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    YIKES! I just KNEW that I forgot to mention something in the "worst piece of photo junk" thread! These tanks are crap of the highest magnitude...
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bobfowler
    YIKES! I just KNEW that I forgot to mention something in the "worst piece of photo junk" thread! These tanks are crap of the highest magnitude...
    Hehehe, Maybe Zehnya should not use it, but keep it as a collectable. "Bakelite" items of any kind are very desirable among some antiques collectors, and depending on how much he spent on it, it just might show him a profit some day.

cheers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I hit the eBay address. Shouldn't have. This is sure to bring back nightmares.

Perhaps there is a "special way" to cut the end of the film. I tried, but couldn't find it, if it did exist.

It was a satisfying Pistol Range Target.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley
    Hehehe, Maybe Zehnya should not use it, but keep it as a collectable. "Bakelite" items of any kind are very desirable among some antiques collectors, and depending on how much he spent on it, it just might show him a profit some day.

cheers
    He-he, John, you should have seen our old Soviet tanks, perhaps some ugly replicas of Zeiss design ) That's why I ask you to help me with old good Anscomatic Well, that piece of bakelite from Kodak costed me about $2 on Moscow flea market, so if everyone says it's a nightmare to use I will just keep it as a rarity I planned to develop some 35mm while in a trip somewhere in the fields, but I don't shoot much 35mm at all, though. The tank is still an enigma in terms of using it, though the replies were up to time really full of emotions How much of precious films have been jammed by these bakelite monsters during the last 50 years, that's the question?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin