Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,579   Posts: 1,545,748   Online: 937

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "one (1) sheet of rubylith sandwiched between the stock filter glass panels"

It's still unclear to me whether you removed the original filtration material from the glass sandwich or added the rubylith to the original material.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    It's still unclear to me whether you removed the original filtration material from the glass sandwich or added the rubylith to the original material.
    Yes, the original filters were removed. I had stated that early in the thread, and in the sentence after the one you quoted I said that no additional filters were used... but I can see how that might not have been clear. So, to restate: the only filter used was a single sheet of rubylith between the stock glass panels.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
    Yes, the original filters were removed. I had stated that early in the thread, and in the sentence after the one you quoted I said that no additional filters were used... but I can see how that might not have been clear. So, to restate: the only filter used was a single sheet of rubylith between the stock glass panels.
    Thanks. I may start taping up my Thomas this weekend. I have some rubylith on the way.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Thanks. I may start taping up my Thomas this weekend. I have some rubylith on the way.
    Don't skimp on the tape; I had light leaks galore on mine and it caused me no end of frustration. A $3 roll of electrical tape will go a long way, even if it's not the perfect solution. Pay particular attention to the inside corners of the lower filter trays; I had 1/16" gaps in the sheet metal in those areas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My goal is to be able to refurbish my safelights to as near OEM condition as possible. After reading every web page, PDF, scrap of paper, blog, and forum post that I could find pertaining to Thomas Duplex Safelight filtration and filter replacement, I've compiled the following information in the hopes that sharing it may further the cause. I've not created a bibliography here, but if you desire to know the source of any portion of this, just ask and I'll share. I've gone out of my way to eliminate conjecture, opinion, and wishes from this information. Obviously if we could talk to whomever worked in purchasing for Thomas or had their account at the supplier of gels, we could learn much more. For now and perhaps evermore, we lack this and must pursue other avenues.
    Cheers,
    Kenny

Manufacturer's information

Thomas Duplex Safelights were sold in three configurations of four different filter packs.

The filter packs were identified by the color of tape used to bind all four edges of a sandwich of filters, diffusion material, and glass. The colors were Yellow, Black, Red, and Green. Each safelight had a pair of each colored filter pack that it shipped with.

The filter packs were made in two different dimensions, the larger size for the lower stationary position and the smaller size for the operable vane which when elevated revealed the lower filter pack.

By operating the moveable vanes each model could potentially protect two different photographic materials. There was not any marking on the case of the safelight indicating which model it was.

Model DUG was sold for use with color paper and black and white paper. DUG models were shipped with a yellow taped filter pack in the lower stationary positions, and a black taped filter pack in the moveable vanes.

Model DUB was sold for use with orthographic materials and black and white paper. DUB models were shipped with a yellow taped filter pack in the lower stationary position, and a red taped filter pack in the moveable vanes.

Model DUX was sold for use with X-RAY film. DUX models were shipped with a green taped filter pack in the lower stationary position, and a red taped filter pack in the moveable vanes. (Note: I found no reference to model DUX being used neither with vanes elevated nor for use with orthographic materials.)

Thomas also offered to make custom version of filtration packs for specific needs of their customers. This means that there may be some of these custom units in the wild that might not have any markings designating their special use.

I was not able to find any information regarding the specific gels originally sold with the Duplex safelights nor their transmission or attenuation characteristics.

One black taped filter pack that I have opened included six sheets of what appeared to my eyes as the same material. There was a sheet of translucent paper tissue on each side of the pack between the gel and the glass. I believe that this was an OEM pack as the gelatin material and the diffusion material were affixed together with a pair of smaller than office equipment staples along one of the short edges. My belief that this is OEM is also based in part on the difference between it and the contents of a black taped filter pack that Greg Davis reported opening that contained a different set of filters (continue reading below for a summary of Greg's findings). It is also noteworthy that one of the filters located in the outermost position of the sandwich shows fading of the area not covered by the tape. I assume that this would have been the one facing the lamp, but have no to way to confirm this as it also could have been the outward facing position and could have been exposed to another strong source of light.

Aftermarket filter replacements

At least two retailers offer replacement filter packs for sale. KBH in Canada, and Freestyle in California. Greg Davis has reported earlier in this thread that upon purchasing a pair of each of the Yellow, Red, and Black filter packs from Freestyle, he cut them open and discovered that some of them had identification numbers on the gels from the manufacturer. Here is a summary of his findings:

Yellow taped - one sheet of Rosco Roscolux #3406 Sun85 and one sheet of Rosco Roscolux #3407 SunCTO with diffusion material on each side of the gel pack between the gel and the glass.

Black taped - two sheets of each of unmarked gelatin filters that to his eye looked identical to the Rosco Roscolux #3406 Sun85 and Rosco Roscolux #3407 SunCTO with diffusion material on each side of the gel pack between the gel and the glass.

Red taped - two sheets of Rosco E-Colour+ #019 Fire with diffusion material on each side of the gel pack between the gel and the glass.

Below is space for additional information as reported to me or in this thread.

Reports from users on contents of filter packs they have opened up:

Known OEM filters (reported by original purchaser that can confirm provenance and original tape colors):

Yellow tape: None yet

Black tape: None yet

Red tape: None yet

Green tape: None yet

Suspected OEM filters (reported by owners unable to confirm provenance nor original tape colors)

Black tape: KennyMark - six sheets of identical unmarked gelatin with diffusion, stapled. One sheet showing masked fading.

Known aftermarket filters (reported by users having purchased replacement filter packs from retailers)

Yellow tape: Greg Davis - one sheet each of Rosco Roscolux #3406 Sun85 and #3407 SunCTO with diffusion.

Black tape: Greg Davis - two sheets each of unmarked filters identical to his aftermarket yellow tape packs above (#3406 and #3407).

Red tape: Greg Davis - two sheets of Rosco E-Colour+ #019 Fire with diffusion.

Other filters (reported by users purchasing used safelights, replacements from auction sites, DIY packs, and completely unknown)

Black tape: None yet

Masking tape: KennyMark - obvious DIY, single sheet of unmarked filter, badly deteriorated with wrinkles and cracks without diffusion.
    Last edited by KennyMark; 09-10-2014 at 10:09 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Corrected error on DUX info.
    If you call it a "prime lens" because it's a fixed-focal length (i.e. not a zoom lens), then as Inigo Montoya said so eloquently, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info! That's very useful. I hadn't even realized there were different filters available, but I'm glad I got the one I need.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Thanks for the info! That's very useful. I hadn't even realized there were different filters available, but I'm glad I got the one I need.
    If you care to help, we would love to know what you find inside your filters!
    If you call it a "prime lens" because it's a fixed-focal length (i.e. not a zoom lens), then as Inigo Montoya said so eloquently, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Since I recently set up a new darkroom, smaller than the last, I've got the Thomas Safelight packed in storage, but maybe at some point I can get it out and look.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin