Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,809   Online: 1019

Developing ORWO UN54 in Perceptol?

Wish to use Ilford Perceptol developer for ORWO UN54 exposed at 100. Need Time, Dilution and Temp.

fotorr

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    7 posts in 12 years , I think you know all the answers !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FotoRR View Post
    Wish to use Ilford Perceptol developer for ORWO UN54 exposed at 100. Need Time, Dilution and Temp.

fotorr
    I have never used this film, but I have used Perceptol, which is a developer that is speed decreasing.

May I recommend a film speed test? Expose one roll in what is normal lighting for you. Bracket your exposures, say EI 25, 50, and 100 - three shots per 'scene'.
    Now develop for a standard like time. I see Perceptol is used at around 10 minutes and mostly at half the emulsion speed, so try 10 minutes.

Now you need to use a second test roll where you shoot a roll based on an evaluation of the shadow detail and the shadow detail only. You need to expose the film in similar lighting conditions as your first roll. Highlights and midtones do not matter at this point.

Say that you like the results at EI 50. Cut your exposed roll into thirds. If your first test roll where you liked the shadow detail had highlights that were too dense, you cut developing time. Try 9 minutes, or 8 minutes. If the highlights were too weak, increase dev time. Try 11 or 12 minutes.
    Repeat as many times as are necessary.

The benefit of doing this is that you will know exactly what to expect from the film when you underexpose, when you overexpose, when you underdevelop or overdevelop. That is very valuable knowledge to have.

Even if somebody here was able to give you a recommendation, it probably wouldn't work very well for you because the shutter of your lens is a little different, your metering technique is not exactly the same, your lens contrast varies, your lighting conditions are not the same, your water quality is different.... etc etc etc. If you print in the darkroom you likely have different paper developer and paper than somebody else, which require different negative contrast than other people's materials. Just do a little bit of work, and then reap the benefits.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't see anyone using Perceptol yet, but certainly a lot of other choices here:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1924424...7629045003145/

Duncan

Mustafa Umut Sarac What are you telling me? Answer or don't reply.
    Thomas Bertilsson- Thanks for the long detailed reply. Yes, I know the Zone system quite well as i learned from St. Ansel. Hoped that others experience would provide a starting point.
    Duncan - Have used Diafine, HC110 and found the results less than choice.
    fotorr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello;
    I would forget the perceptol and try Xtol as a full strength replenishing developer. Start at 5mins @ normal temps and adjust to suit. You can shoot small test strips to dial this in. Just my two cents, Steven.

Shooter
    35mm
    There might be more responses if this post was in the right forum?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin