Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,976   Online: 882

Shooter
    Multi Format

Negative Carrier

Hello,

I am looking for a negative carrier - 6x6 - for my Vivitar VI enlarger. I put a wanted ad in the classified section here, but I also wanted to know if anyone knew of a source online to find this item as well.

Thank you, Rich

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a V1 as well - great enlarger, however it was quite a rare beast in its day and parts just don't seem to come up - I look all the time. I have 35mm and 6x6, plus a slide carrier, but would quite like a 645, although I can manage with the 6x6. Although they look like a complex plastic moulding, it's really just a clamshell with a locating ring. I am seriously contemplating making one out of sheet plastic. 4x little pins that locate in the circular hole of the stage should suffice for the locating ring, and then it's just a matter of getting the right thickness so the clamp works correctly. I was thinking about magnetic sheet instead of the clip latch (which doesn't work on my 6x6 anyway) A4 sheets of plastic in various thicknesses are easily available on ebay. I haven't made it yet, but I don't think it would be too difficult, particularly as its a glassless carrier. No glass needed on the V1 of course due to the cold light (assuming you are using the dichroic source with light-pipe)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Rusty,

I will most likely have to fab one up, no biggy, just nice to have the real thing. After searching for a bit I found a number of ideas and examples others have done.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Experiment with laminated sections of matt board off cuts first. You might find the DIY matt board version, with a bit of tape here and there fills the bill quite nicely for less used sizes.

I use Scotch 77 spray adhesive for laminating, sharp new xacto blades for precise heavy cutting in cases like this, and sharpie markers to black out the sections that will be in the light path. I have not tackled a Vivitar (I had one for a short time, gifted to me, decided I did not need a fifth enlarger and sold it for a song at a photo swap show.

I have made neg holders for quite a few different enlargersthough over the years. Usually for more obscure film format sizes when printing older negatives from relatives who have passed on.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've a Vivitar 356, which is quite similar to the VI. Sometimes you will see carriers on ebay, but they are often too expensive. I've toyed with the idea of making my own carrier, but haven't even cleaned and used the enlarger yet. I do have the carriers I need but can anticipate needing more.

If you do make one, be sure to post your results.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Will do...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin