Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,554   Posts: 1,573,142   Online: 785

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

LPL4500 questions

I am finally building a real darkroom for the first time in my life, and have had my eye out for an LPL4500XLG. So far no luck, but I do have a line on an LPL4500II. I want to be able to make 20x24 prints from all formats, but plan on mounting the enlarger permanently on a cabinet with slots to drop the easel height below the cabinet top. With the easel dropped, will I be able to achieve 20x24 with the LPL4500II? I would think so, but would love it if somebody can confirm this.

Thanks!

Rolfe

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hey Rolfe, just spent some time for you on google. The maximum size on the baseboard is 26X20. With the baseboard lowered a bit I see no problem doing a 20X24. I have a Saunders/LPL 4550 XLG and love it. Good luck. Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lightwisps View Post
    Hey Rolfe, just spent some time for you on google. The maximum size on the baseboard is 26X20. With the baseboard lowered a bit I see no problem doing a 20X24. I have a Saunders/LPL 4550 XLG and love it. Good luck. Don
    Thanks Don, I appreciate it! I did google around but couldn't come up with that info, although I guess it should be obvious. I would have thought there might be a problem if the upright were angled, but on the the LPL it appears to be straight.

Rolfe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lightwisps View Post
    The maximum size on the baseboard is 26X20.
    Don- I think it's actually a 16x20 inch maximum, on the baseboard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had the first model LPL 4500 enlarger, how I managed to make it possible to do very large printing was to wall mount the column, there is a simple kit available for this.

When wall mounting affix the mounting kit to something that is proud of the wall, in my case I had the wall mount kit sitting about 80mm out from the wall, I then had a drop table that I made myself which would allolw four levels of table height, plus if wishing to get the biggest enlargement, I could use the floor.

The issues with the vertical column arrangement are when you try to do enlargements over a certain size you will need a drop table so you can enlarge with the head about halfway up only, othwerwise the edge of the column does become an issue with an uncropped negative sometimes.

My biggest enlargements with my LPL 4500 were with 4x5" negs and using 24x30" cut sheet paper. I didn't do this often, but when I did it worked a treat.

Later model LPL 4x5" enlargers also had a 50mm spacer that pushed the head and negative carrier outwards from the column, this was to allow larger enlargements as standard without the bottom of thew column appearing in the printing area.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    According to this the dimensions are as follows:

Baseboard Dimensions: 60 x 80cm
    Max. Magnification on baseboard - 35mm negative with 50mm lens: 21X = 30" across. (1.44" x 21)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ic- you're looking at the 4550XLG (7452L outside the U.S.). For the 4500II (7451 outside the U.S.), the baseboard is 60x60. Magnification is 17.5X.

My earlier 16x20 baseboard came from the Adorama site. I think kbh is probably more accurate. Should be able to get a 20x24, though...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At 17.5x magnification on the baseboard with the 4500II, it looks like the max enlargement is below 20x24. But it also looks like it should be easily possible with wall mounting and a slight drop of the countertop.

Thanks for all the input...

Rolfe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With that shorter column of the non-XL you should be able to get back to a 21X enlargement of the horizontal dimension on the baseboard with a 40mm wide-angle lens designed for big enlargements. What is difficult to predict without having the enlarger in-hand is the distance from the center of the projection to the column. That will limit the maximum height of the biggest print you can make. That is something to consider also, even when mounting the enlarger on a wall with a drop table. Now you see why some enlargers have the forward slanted column (See Mick's post above also).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    With that shorter column of the non-XL you should be able to get back to a 21X enlargement of the horizontal dimension on the baseboard with a 40mm wide-angle lens designed for big enlargements. What is difficult to predict without having the enlarger in-hand is the distance from the center of the projection to the column. That will limit the maximum height of the biggest print you can make. That is something to consider also, even when mounting the enlarger on a wall with a drop table. Now you see why some enlargers have the forward slanted column (See Mick's post above also).
    Well, this was exactly my concern. Whether the column would move into the image by a 21x enlargement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin