Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,481   Posts: 1,542,704   Online: 957

Shooter
    Multi Format

JOBO CPE2 Plus, 600ml max solution?

I just got a CPE2 Plus, it came with a 2560 tank module and a 2521 tank that attaches to the bottom, it also came with 8 of the 2502 reels. After looking at the jobo website and the guide on the tank, it looks like I cant use any less then 1120ml or 1250ml of solution with this set up. The problem is that jobo lists this processor as not being able to handle more then 600ml of solution without harming the motor over time, how true is this and can anyone chime in? I believe what I should be using is the 1520+1530 tanks to do the max amount of rolls and stay under the 600ml limit. What should I do? This is for processing C-41 120 and 135.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd switch to the 1500 tanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    In reality you can exceed the max rating by some with no harm (say 800ml or so). Most of the concern of overloading has to do with the structural integrity of the lift and motor unit housing, which on the CPE2 system are fairly delicate.

That said - i would never run more then 1L over time, as that is sure to shorten motor and PC board life.

If you want to stay with the 2500 system reels you have:
    You can use a smaller 2500 system tank, such as the multitank 5 (2550) and run up to 5 rolls of 35 or 6 120, and use 640ml, which is close enough to the stated max rating of the machine. Or the Multitank 6 (2560) for up to 6X35 or 8X120, with 850ml.
    Then you will also have the 2521 for smaller runs if you want.

Swapping to the 1500 system will save you chemistry, and will always be under the stated max capacity for the same quantities as the multitank 5. You can make a larger combo (1510+1530+1530) for up to 7X35 or 10X120 but then you will be using 800ml, still better then the 2500 system, and not so much more the max capacity.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am using a CPE2 system with 2500 tanks and I don't exceed the max recommended. I did all this by hand for a long while and this little unit is so convenient I want mine to last a very long time. I have stayed with the 2500 tank because it handles the different types of film I work with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys. Pioneer, how many rolls are you doing at once and in what 2500 series tank? I'm going to use the 2521 and do 2 rolls at a time for now, in the future pick up a 1500 tank or multitank 5. It would have been great to do 8x135 or 10x120 in a single run but I guess thats not going to work out.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I recommend doing like CatLABS says: run the Multitank-5 with 6 rolls of 120 per load (650mL of solution). You can chew through a LOT of film in a day that way and I find that my limiting factor is drying space not Jobo capacity. And I have a nice big filtered drying cabinet. Having 2 complete tanks on hand means you can load one tank while the other is fixing & washing and turn the film over real quick.

If you have a lift, then lift the tank by the end of the support rail and ignore the delicate handle. If you're worried about the motor & speed controller, disable reversing and check that you still get even processing. It's the slosh during direction change that loads the motor up the most.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There is no simple way to disable the reversing on the CPE2+ (it is electronically controlled on the PCB), and in any case as it has been discussed on APUG and LFF extensively, does not offer any kind of benefit or motor longevity, and can only potentially add to issues with processing.

Motors for CPE2+ cost about 90$ and always in stock. They are by far more reliable then the regular CPE2 motors, they are also stronger. The max capacity of the system was calculated when the original machine designed, but was not changed for the new one for some reason. That is in part why i said you can use tanks with 800ml of liquid in them.

As polygot says - always support the lift from underneath the tank and do not rely on the handle alone.

Either way you have high capacity options.
    CatLABS of JP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can the CPE2+ motor be retrofitted to the CPE2?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Can the CPE2+ motor be retrofitted to the CPE2?
    Unfortunately, due to the different design of the motor, housing and circuit board this cannot be done.
    However - there is a similar motor currently available, that meets the shape/design needs of the CPE2, and which with minor modifications can be fitted to a CPE2 in case the motor dies. That motor is no cheap, i think it retails at 100+ euro....
    CatLABS of JP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Totman View Post
    Thanks guys. Pioneer, how many rolls are you doing at once and in what 2500 series tank? I'm going to use the 2521 and do 2 rolls at a time for now, in the future pick up a 1500 tank or multitank 5. It would have been great to do 8x135 or 10x120 in a single run but I guess thats not going to work out.
    Sorry for the delay Ben.

The numbers on my tanks have long since worn off so I am not sure which it is, it is probably the 2521. I can fit two 35mm reels, one 120/220 reel, or one 2509 (I think that is it) 4x5 sheet reel. I can develop two rolls of 35mm, two rolls of 120 using the clips, one roll of 220, or 6 sheets of 4x5. I have two tanks so I usually get at least 4 rolls of 35mm or 120 done in a developing session so it works out all right. I do have the larger Multi-tank that accepts five 35mm reels but I have never used it on my machine. I do use it for black & white but I have the rollers and rotate the tank by hand when I do use it. To be honest I will also develop b&w on the same day as I do color so I run out of room to hang film.

Catlabs seems to think the Multi-Tank will work so it sounds like it is ok. I am just a bit conservative and try not to press my equipment past its capacity if I don't need to. Since the only client waiting for my film is myself then I can work a little slower if I want.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin