Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,298   Posts: 1,535,737   Online: 828

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wanted to compare notes, so I bought an EFN and a 13139 to try in my V35, which as I said, is of the later mixing box design. I found identical coverage and uniformity of light, and printing times that were maybe 2/3 to a full stop longer...which I welcomed since I like my print exposures to be around 24-36 seconds so I have lots of time to dodge and burn.

The EFN was $6.50, the 13139 was $37.50...time is money, but the savings here are obvious...provided you don't have illumination problems.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What is an EFN?

I have the older design but have been very happy with its results. I hesitate to get the newer light box because it would mean retesting filter changes with the various VC papers I use.

Shooter
    35mm

DC Valoy

FWIW, I have an ancient Leitz Valoy that has a double condenser and a diffusing disc on top of the top condenser!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hilo, thanks for the info. Good to know I have the right bulb, I bought a couple of them through a teaching materials shop (they sell them for about half the price the photo shops do, sames goes for the V35 halogen bulb).

The procedure I tried to align the bulb (apart from the heuristic wiggling approch) is described by Ed Zimmermann on another photo site (google for "zimmermann Leitz Focomat 1C bulb alignment" first result, second response should be it).

I also checked the condeser, good point. It sits fine, I even tried a spare one that came with the anti newton filter. No luck. I've been looking for a 2C, but they are quite expensive over here

Gamincurieux, thanks for the part number. Turns out I already have the new mixing box installed. I am too using the Heiland system with the 35 (with the normal halogen bulbs). The LED lightsource for the Heiland controller has one drawback, it can't be used in mixed-light mode, you always have to use splitgrade mode. I asked them about this and they're planning an updated design.

Cheers,
    Andi

Shooter
    35mm
    So does Kienzle in fact offer this condenser modification for the V35? Do you have to send them in your own mixing box for modification? I've got my old single-lens mixing box sitting around somewhere. I'm very curious to know more.... their klunky old website doesn't say anything about it.

By the way thanks Andi for the tip on the mixed-light/splitgrade limitation, hadn't thought of it..... and sorry if my earlier post was just telling you stuff you already knew - too often I stick my nose in without reading earlier comments

Quote Originally Posted by ~andi View Post

Gamincurieux, thanks for the part number. Turns out I already have the new mixing box installed. I am too using the Heiland system with the 35 (with the normal halogen bulbs). The LED lightsource for the Heiland controller has one drawback, it can't be used in mixed-light mode, you always have to use splitgrade mode. I asked them about this and they're planning an updated design.

Cheers,
    Andi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nothing to be sorry about. I was not as clear as I would like to be, considering there are two kinds of diffuse condenser boxes. I'm not entirely sure about the Kienzle offering. I have a pricelist with two kinds of mixing box modifications: "double condenser" and "double diffusor". So i kind of assumed the diffusor is the standard thingy and the condeser a real condenser. The pricelist is, well, rather succinct, and not very clear on everything. I guess it's a DIY mod. They also offer the complete boxes, spare negative holders, an glass, etc. (also for the 1c). I can send it to you if you pm me (it's in german though). Sending a email to Kienzle will probably clear up that mystery.

Cheers,
    Andi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    I wanted to compare notes, so I bought an EFN and a 13139 to try in my V35, which as I said, is of the later mixing box design. I found identical coverage and uniformity of light, and printing times that were maybe 2/3 to a full stop longer...which I welcomed since I like my print exposures to be around 24-36 seconds so I have lots of time to dodge and burn.

The EFN was $6.50, the 13139 was $37.50...time is money, but the savings here are obvious...provided you don't have illumination problems.
    the EFN specification is what the Philips 13139 is based on. You can find EFN bulbs for a fraction of the cost of the "Leitz endorsed" 13139 bulb. It is worth trying a couple different brands though...I have heard that the Osram EFNs are dimmer than what is desirable...though I have no idea if these people have been using the older or newer mixing boxes...it's possible that slight differences in the bulbs are displayed more prominently in the older type than the newer type...

--

The black round head Ic requires a short neck Osram bulb that are out of production for decades. The grey oblong head takes a standard long neck that is easily available.

The black head with the wrong bulb makes uneven light.

http://www.glennview.com/leitz.htm

Scroll half way down to see the two side by side.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec View Post
    The black round head Ic requires a short neck Osram bulb that are out of production for decades. The grey oblong head takes a standard long neck that is easily available.

The black head with the wrong bulb makes uneven light.

http://www.glennview.com/leitz.htm

Scroll half way down to see the two side by side.
    Just for clarity's sake, my post about the EFN/13139 bulbs only applies to the Focomat V35

(this is more for the sake of our posts showing up in google search...but good to reaffirm anyhow)

--

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ronald,

I think the short neck bulb you are referring to are, or better were, the standard form-factor for household bulbs over here. The 150W bulbs have the long neck as pictured on the glennview page. Anyways, I've got the 1c with the oblong head and tried the 75W short neck bulb as well as the 150W long neck. The 1 stop fall-off towards the corners still exists. I come to think that this is what I have to expect and just burn in a bit longer than usual.

Cheers,
    Andi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin