Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,001   Online: 995

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    for the sake of minimizing chem usage I rock and roll.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    I have had to resort to inversion with grey backgrounds or grey skys when using a Jobo.
    I have not had problem with any of my jobo tanks putting my hand over the opening to stop the chemicals from leaking out with inversions. Are there tanks
    that this is not possible with????

this is a proceedure that I use to solve road rut issues with rotary, the first 15 seconds is critical that the chems are getting to the exposed silver evenly.

I recommend a prewash to swell and open the emulsion if one is encountering mottling.

The new Jobo 3 which I purchased from Cat labs is fantastic for custom work and has delays so you can take the tank off without the motar rotating, Invert the tank as one would with a normal stainless steel tank , then after 10 -15 seconds put on the machine hit start again and the rotation begins.

the more I use this machine the more I like. I have a heavy load of film coming in soon and I plan to process near my workstation , Now Catlabs all you need to design for the machine is a wireless headset that I can use to hear the timer count down, telling me when each step is going to end..
    That would be worth its weight in gold!!!!!!!
    So Bob, are you saying to shake at first and then go to rotation? This is essentially what I have, or will have once the tank arrives.
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CEAQ9QEwAg

I can shake or roll, no problem.
    All paths are the same: they lead nowhere. Choose the one that has heart.

Don Juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    for the sake of minimizing chem usage I rock and roll.
    Ralph, thanks for coming out of lurker mode, I feel honored that you would think this thread worth commenting.

I use tmax developer, which is designed to be reused for several rolls, so chem usage is a factor of film square inches, not tank size. I'm glad my new tank can be used for both inversion and rolling, it will allow me to start with what is familiar and to try both.
    All paths are the same: they lead nowhere. Choose the one that has heart.

Don Juan

The trick with Jobo horizintal rotation is stabalize temps, turn speed to max, introduce chems as fast as possible down the funnel, after 15 sec, begin slowing rotation to film speed. With the 10 sheet drum for 4x5 sheets, just introduce chem as fast as possible.

I have used many methods over 5 decades and they all work if

The wet dry edge proceeds across the film as fast as possible and as uniformly as possible

And agitation is vigorous and random.

Anything that satisfies theses will work. Even twiddle stick works if you raise and lower the film so chems get to the middle.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    So Bob, are you saying to shake at first and then go to rotation? This is essentially what I have, or will have once the tank arrives.
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CEAQ9QEwAg

I can shake or roll, no problem.

Yes , when I know I have very grey backgrounds , I will put the Jobo drum in my hand and invert as I normally do with stainless, No chemisty comes out
    and it has helped me with a severe problem of road ruts that were minus density on the film , which showed up in the direction of the rotation.

It seems the first 15-20 seconds of chemical development is critical and I have found this method to work.

The new Jobo allows for pauses in rotation on the fly between each process .. this stops the motor for easy on and off then hit the start and the rotation is good to go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin