Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,112   Online: 1020

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rolling vs inversion, was it ever settled?

Having been convinced that my Yankee-style developing tank will cause uneven development, I have ordered a Jobo 8x10 tank (with cap) with an insert to hold 12 4x5 sheets. I already have a cute little Uniroller. With all the arguments here and on LFF about rolling agitation vs inversion, should I roll it or shake it?
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shake, rattle, and roll

That's the era I grew up in. I much prefer inversion but then that's what I've done for about 50 years with no problems.

Ian

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tray it .

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    This LFF thread has copious amounts of info on the matter:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...highlight=jobo

This was settled a long time ago - folks will swear by the method which for them, produces excellent negatives, regardless of weather another method might be superior in any aspect.

So try it, love it and stick with it
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    CatLABS, the OP in that thread has exactly the same tank as mine. The way it was explained to me, since it can't be inverted when agitating, the fluid flows across the film much more at the top than the bottom of the tank, leading to the uneven development.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Rotation works great I use a jumbo CPA 2 and it produces a really great negatives. I also have a Nikkor tank that I can invert and it works great too.

To me the real difference, in terms of output, is small; it's just a matter of finding the right time and being consistent and consistency is a very strong point of rotation especially when it's being done by a machine.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    CatLABS, the OP in that thread has exactly the same tank as mine. The way it was explained to me, since it can't be inverted when agitating, the fluid flows across the film much more at the top than the bottom of the tank, leading to the uneven development.

The thread is long and tedious at times, just click to the very last page, very last post.

If i may share my 2 cents - i have never had any success with the combi plan or yankee tanks, and on the other hand i have never had an issue with rotation, none whatsoever. If the combi plan does not work for you, its a small investment to see if rotation will do the trick. If you like it, then you can consider making a larger investment...
    CatLABS of JP

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I have had to resort to inversion with grey backgrounds or grey skys when using a Jobo.
    I have not had problem with any of my jobo tanks putting my hand over the opening to stop the chemicals from leaking out with inversions. Are there tanks
    that this is not possible with????

this is a proceedure that I use to solve road rut issues with rotary, the first 15 seconds is critical that the chems are getting to the exposed silver evenly.

I recommend a prewash to swell and open the emulsion if one is encountering mottling.

The new Jobo 3 which I purchased from Cat labs is fantastic for custom work and has delays so you can take the tank off without the motar rotating, Invert the tank as one would with a normal stainless steel tank , then after 10 -15 seconds put on the machine hit start again and the rotation begins.

the more I use this machine the more I like. I have a heavy load of film coming in soon and I plan to process near my workstation , Now Catlabs all you need to design for the machine is a wireless headset that I can use to hear the timer count down, telling me when each step is going to end..
    That would be worth its weight in gold!!!!!!!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I am sending your comment to Germany right away!
    CatLABS of JP

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    I am sending your comment to Germany right away!
    I am very serious about this option, with all the geekoo gizzmmooos out there this should be a no brainer.

turns the machine into a semi automatic....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin