Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,432   Online: 836

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by msage View Post
    About 5 years ago I worked in a lab that had a gas tankless water heater and we had nothing but problems maintaining 70 degrees for B&W processing.
    Certainly a tankless task!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Controlling legionella is pretty simple; 0.5 ppm chlorine added to the water - which most municipalities in the US already do, although Canada may be different - or maintaining hot water temperatures that are 125° or above; either will not only prevent any active bacteria from multiplying, but will also kill off any new entrants into the system in relatively short order. This is one of the reasons that we set any heater we install to 125°; the other is that 140° is hot enough to cause severe discomfort. Personally, I'd put in the conventional tank-style heater, set it at whatever temperature I wanted that was 125° or above, and invest the significant amount of money that I'd saved from NOT buying a tankless heater into a nice tempering faucet.

Also: periodic maintenance on a water heater will greatly extend its life. Flush the tank once or twice a year, change the elements as needed and check the anode, and you can get a LOT of life out of a modestly-priced unit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well the the trigger's been pulled and a 67 litre (~17.7 US Gal, or 14.7 Imp Gal.) tank was ordered - (or back-ordered actually) electric as there is already service to the space in question. Gas was run in last winter so we could heat at least part of the house with a gas fireplace, but was ruled out for the back garage.

We're chlorinated here so I'll go with the 125F setting. The money saved not going tankless has already been spent if you talk to SWMBO. (drainage and water so I would need a water heater...)

Got the sleepers down (level floor, yay), the subfloor down and about to start the partition wall...

So much closer to having a darkroom again after two years of NOT.

Tanks to all of you!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Good to hear of the progress, Dave!

I have a 40 gal gas-fired water heater in my garage...where the darkroom (or dimroom as some alt. process say) will be going in soon (hopefully!) If the water heater fails on me, I would consider building it a little insulated shed attached to the outside wall of the garage for the new one...get a little more floor space (also have the washer and drier in the garage) and no worries about leaks from the water heater. I use acetone in carbon printing, so not having a flame source in my dimroom would be nice. I could use straight grain alcohol (Everclear) instead of acetone...a little for the tissue, a little for me...But I think I'll keep to the acetone and just use a different room for it, or install sort of an exhaust hood that exhausts outside.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin