Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,461   Posts: 1,570,629   Online: 778

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Darkroom processing v cooking

I find cooking very similar to photographic processing, with the time/temperature and mixing being of similar importance. I was cooking a dish tonight using my favourite spatula, in the same way I have favourite tools in photographic processing. For instance I use barbeque tongs to process prints. Can others relate to this comparison, with perhaps their own favourite?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I actually just made this exact comparison the other day in another thread...I definitely print like I cook...generally without a recipe and with a decent glass of red wine.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    I actually just made this exact comparison the other day in another thread...I definitely print like I cook...generally without a recipe and with a decent glass of red wine.
    Chris, your post probably inspired my thread and I second the decent glass of red wine.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Of course, Some are Heston Blumenthal in the darkroom; while others have a more "caveman" approach ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hey pdeeh

what is the caveman approach ?
    ( i'll have to google heston b too ) ..

john

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Can others relate to this comparison, with perhaps their own favourite?
    My cooking tends to be of the "bung it in the oven on hot and take it out when the smoke alarm sounds" school. If the smoke alarm goes off while I'm in the darkroom, something real bad has happened.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tell people that if you can make Kraft Mach-n-Cheese you can process black and white film.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I cook only so that I don't starve or go broke by eating out. I much prefer the darkroom. Some of my better kitchen concoctions were a result of tossing stuff in a pan while drinking some wine, though. I just don't enjoy cooking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cooking to me is as therapeutic as printing if not more so...it also gives me a decent reason to call some friends around and have some good drinks and conversation. I love spending 2 or 3 hours, sometimes more on preparing a good meal with company, sampling each dish. When I had my apartment at school, my friends knew that coming over for dinner would be a 4 hour affair, at least...we did this numerous times a week. Everyone brought ingredients/wine/beer...the girls would talk and drink and make fun of us while my best friend and I would prepare each course.

What fun...
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe somebody should organize a poll on the relationship between those who stuck with or returned to analogue photography, and those who like to cook.
    I really enjoy both....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin