Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,032   Online: 786

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Eye protection when using Nuarc plate burner?

I finally found, and bought, a Nuarc plate burner for carbon printing. It's the newer model that uses a metal halide light source. The thing is EXTREMELY bright, and I'm wondering if it's safer to use some eye protection when exposing?? I put on sunglasses now, but wonder about the wavelength of the light emitted and whether the sunglasses are sufficient protection...Thanks...

Shooter
    35mm
    I assume that Nuarc is the maker and/or there is a maker of this plate. If so I'd ask the maker or try and obtain a copy of the instructions which I assume you don't have.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Large Format
    If it's the flip-over type, just don't look down in it. Yes, they're all bright.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My wife uses a 1000 Watt Nuarc unit for polymer photogravure. She made an opaque vinyl sheet that hangs around the thing when it's on and wears very dark glasses as well. Were it not for the opaque vinyl, I think a welder's mask or goggles would be sufficient for protection, but nothing less than that.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm sure you could grab some UV and ND10,000 filters, and some pipe-cleaners, and hack yourself a very nice-looking pair of goggles without needing to buy a welder's mask...

There used to be a sign up in the woodworking shop at my high school "noise loud enough to annoy, given time will destroy". The same is probably true of light, if it hurts to look at it, it ain't good for you...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I checked on line for welder's goggles. These look terrific, and they're CHEAP!!!

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_2b0qva2m38_e
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    And here all this time I thought us printers died of misery and poverty, but any eyesight problems from the platemaker I never heard of.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've never heard of anyone before who DIDN'T know these kinds of lights are dangerous to look at! This is kinda common sense stuff, just like not putting you hand on a lit stove burner. Even my cats can figure that kind of thing out without reading an Owner's Manual.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hmmm, maybe I should use some protection with mine then too. I don't really look at it though and go for stroll while printing.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Your eyes need goggles, but that won't prevent sunburn on the rest of you! Keep it properly closed and/or shielded with totally opaque (cardboard/metal/whatever) material.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin