Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,307   Online: 942

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Replacement blade for Kostiner?

Hi!

I own an 17x17 Kostiner 4-blade easel which I really like, and I got it for close to nothing which makes it even better.

But, after using it for some time I've discovered that one of the blades isn't straight, but slightly curved. This limits the worth of the easel, especially when printing big. I can skip using this blade but I'd like to have a fully functional easel...

Do you think I can find a replacement blade today? From where, and at what cost? I live in Sweden (Europe) if it makes any difference.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Unless someone has an easel which they are parting out, I think you may be out of luck. The easel was designed and originally built in Canada. The blades and their locking system were from an architects drawing board.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    If it is curved (bent) down, (or up), then a rare earth magnet may be enough to hold the blade down. The normal blades have a downward slant
    If it is curved in ( very odd in the flat dimension) then perhaps you could sand it square. If curved out then switch sides and sand.
    If not curved but angled, perhaps there is room for adjustment at the two screws.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    If it is curved (bent) down, (or up), then a rare earth magnet may be enough to hold the blade down. The normal blades have a downward slant
    If it is curved in ( very odd in the flat dimension) then perhaps you could sand it square. If curved out then switch sides and sand.
    If not curved but angled, perhaps there is room for adjustment at the two screws.
    Sadly, it is curved (iirc it curves to the right). What do you mean that I can sand it square?

Shooter
    Large Format
    That must have been wrong from day one.
    If it curves to the right, maybe place it on the left side of the easel, so that it curves into the picture and see how much needs to be removed to draw a straight line from bottom to top, at right angles to the two horizontal arms.
    then I am thinking, clamp it between two straight edges and remove the exposed bit.
    also if you can find a line maker accessory cheaply, the arms are the same.
    Mind you I am not a engineer!
    Last edited by cowanw; 10-06-2013 at 05:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin