Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,002   Online: 1186

Shooter
    35mm

Odd things found in a darkroom

Okay I technically didn't find this in a darkroom, but...

I was visiting my parents today and they remembered an old pinhole camera i'd built when I was in high school. I used 4x5 paper negatives in it. We went looking for it and I ran across two half-gallon Delta 1 "Datatainer" bottles. They had who knows what in them. They were from 25+ years ago so I was sure they weren't any good, but figured I could rinse the bottles and use them once I get a darkroom set up to play around with pinhole photography again. One bottle had "fixer" wrote on it very faintly and when I poured it out smelled like fixer (it went down the drain because who knows how well 25-year-old fixer works). The other bottle was unlabeled and the liquid in it was bright red. I would assume it was developer of some sort, probably Dektol.

Incidentally the price tags were still on both bottles - $2.39. B&H still sells these for $3.95.

What sorts of things (that you may or may not have forgotten about) have you found in your darkroom?
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    When I was in high school I had my first darkroom. Mom decided to be nice and clean it for me one day while I was at school.. Unfortunately she found a pair of panties in the darkroom. I was still explaining that disaster years later. Mom said my girlfriend at the time was no longer welcome in our house. Sheesh!! Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cleaning out my Dad's darkroom after he died, back in 1999, I came across some very interesting things. One of them was a book of tinting papers. These are Kodak Velox papers. You use a wet brush, and can pick up color and tint your prints.

I do remember his tinted prints years ago. Sort of like Marshall Oils, but more subtle. Never the less, very nice. I don't use these - they reside in my antique camera and photo equipment collection display.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Velox-Cover.jpg   Velox-Inside.jpg  
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lightwisps View Post
    When I was in high school I had my first darkroom. Mom decided to be nice and clean it for me one day while I was at school.. Unfortunately she found a pair of panties in the darkroom. I was still explaining that disaster years later. Mom said my girlfriend at the time was no longer welcome in our house. Sheesh!! Don
    Did you use that famous line on your girl friend, "Come down to my darkroom and let's see what develops"???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sure, blame it all on the girl.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...I was still explaining that disaster years later. Mom said my girlfriend at the time was no longer welcome in our house. Sheesh!! Don
    Creativity should have been your strong point! How about, "Mom, every darkroom has a pair of panties. There's no better, cheaper way of straining those little black specks from used Selenium toner!" Or, "Thanks, mom! I've been looking for those. They're a prop for this weekends portrait shoot." Or even, "That darned cat (dog)! She/he's been dragging all kinds of things in here lately. You have to be sure the door's closed tightly when you leave."

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It is easy to imagine how they got there. What makes me wonder is why your girlfriend didn't take them with her after her modeling assignment

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Kodak Day-Load tank. (circa 1950's)

This was only for 35-mm. It had two compartments -- the reel and a smaller one for the cassette. The film was attached to the hub of the reel, both compartments were closed and the film wound (hopefully) to follow the spiral grooves. A light trap was closed and the film cut off. With the cassette removed, chemicals could be poured into the smaller compartment.

As there was no way to know if the load had been successful until the film came out, this must have had the potential for some serious disaster! I developed my first rolls of Anscochrome in it and it worked perfectly every time. By the time I got serious about this, I had migrated to Nikor and the Kodak was shelved.

Incidentally, a 1906 Kodak ad bills what is explicitly called a 'daylight' tank. The ad has a guy camped in the woods somewhere peeling out a presumably wet roll of film. On the ground is a wood box with a crank, what appears to be a round metal tank and a couple reels. The ad proclaims that "It's all by daylight, as simple as 'pressing the button', and the experts say that it gives better results than the dark-room method".

Anyone know how this might have worked? From the illustration, I can't make it out.

ds

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin