Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,954   Posts: 1,522,797   Online: 971

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Densitometer Dilemma

My old MacBeth densitometer was getting a little wonky so I just bought an Xrite 820 from ebay and I think I made a mistake. I retired from hi tech in the hope that I would never again have to read a turgid manual. Holy SMOKES! All I want to do is find the density of test strips on black and white negatives. I think that this machine probably solves the four colour map theorem while making coffee. It is wAAAAY over my head.

Does anyone else use one of these for the very limited purpose of black and white negs? I could use some advice.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
    My old MacBeth densitometer was getting a little wonky so I just bought an Xrite 820 from ebay and I think I made a mistake. I retired from hi tech in the hope that I would never again have to read a turgid manual. Holy SMOKES! All I want to do is find the density of test strips on black and white negatives. I think that this machine probably solves the four colour map theorem while making coffee. It is wAAAAY over my head.

Does anyone else use one of these for the very limited purpose of black and white negs? I could use some advice.
    Should be easy to use. Just read the visibility channel.

Shooter
    35mm
    You can get the manual at http://bit.ly/1e9MIHd if you don't already have one. And, yes, it's a bit complicated

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    X-Rite:
    Briefly look through the entire operator’s manual and get a general understanding of
    how the unit operates.
    Well...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    AgX, you got it! That is a bit like saying "Briefly look through the local library..."

If anyone has one of these things, I could use some help.

Chan: what IS the "visibility channel" and how do I find it?

Shooter
    35mm
    what IS the "visibility channel" and how do I find it?
    Lots of densitometers have V,R, G and B channels. V is for 'visible'. I see mention in your manual to a 'Black' channel.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Looks like you need to push button 5, then push button 2 until it says tranM.

Then push the read head button and look at the result on the display...

If that works, you've got it. If not, then the instructions are too complicated for me too.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I seem to be getting somewhere - thanks for the tips. Now how do I calibrate the damn thing? I tried a step wedge with known values and it reads very low.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is what I use. Simple and reliable

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Komparations-Densograph_ICA,_1920er_Jahre_001.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	75347

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now how do I calibrate the damn thing? I tried a step wedge with known values and it reads very low.
    Page 60 and 61. Press the appropriate buttons on the machine and enter your value from your step wedge around 2.0 to 3.0 or so.

But, you say your step wedge 'standard' only has a single density number indicated for each step?? Then enter that same number for all the color channels on the machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin