Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,677   Online: 762

Shooter
    35mm

Jobo B timer fuse

I think I have blown a fuse in a timer I just bought off Ebay. I tested it by plugging my 2000W kettle into it, which has a blue LED. The led lit up briefly and now everything is dead on the timer. Any ideas on what the fuse is...its a little glass cylinder with metal ends and a wire running down the middle which might be 0.2mm in diameter...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the wire still runs down the middle, the fuse is likely still good. Check it with an ohmmeter. There may be markings on one of the metal caps.
    Just out of curiosity, what is the maximum load rating for the timer? 300w?

Shooter
    35mm
    500w...I would hope that the fuse was cooked before the timer was destroyed

Shooter
    35mm
    I use a Baurie electronic timer and the fuse is rated at .1amp. Mind you this is for 230V UK system Plugging it into the kettle will have overloaded it many many times, hence it blew (a fuse) Once you switch the lettle on the full am requirement is put through immediately to the heating element Possibly as much as 2KW, not only to the little blue led!

Shooter
    35mm
    yeah, so the question is whether I can get a replacement fuse for this as it doesn't look like the 13A things I see in a plug.

Shooter
    35mm
    They are readily available here in UK. I have 2 spares. I don't know where you are but any decent electrical spares shop should be able to provide/sell you one.

dmb

Shooter
    35mm
    I have to assume if you are talking 13A fused plugs then you are in the UK (or nearby) - Looking at a picture of one - over the fuse holder says 2 FA - which would indicate a 2 amp fast acting fuse - Try Maplin - they do 2A Quick Blow glass fuses (part code GG26D) 10 of them for £2.99

Shooter
    35mm
    It is indeed a 2A fuse in a glass cylinder...I don't know whether this is a standard fuse, but Halfords stocked it. Homebase didn't.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Halfords, Homebase, Maplin - All expensive places to purchase a simple item such as a fuse.
    If you ever need to buy one again, look in the yellow pages for an electrical wholesale - Most will have a trade counter and will sell fuses for pennies.

P.S. A 20mm long 2A glass fuse is a "standard" fuse.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin