Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,767   Posts: 1,484,169   Online: 879

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Adapt or dump the extinct for a new old enlarger...
    Your post makes no sense whatsoever.

Why should someone who has invested time, effort and money in an expensive existing enlarger system setup throw it all away because of a now-obsolete bulb if a simple way can be found to extend that bulb's life?

I have a wall-mounted enlarger system. And 13 negative carriers, including 5 glass ones. And a 4-bladed masking attachment. And a micro-focusing attachment. And 7 enlarging lenses. And two 3-lens rotating turrets, one for modern Schneider optics and the other for period Kodak Ektar optics. The enlarger is directly mounted to a pair of 4x4 posts intentionally built into the wall and bolted to a concrete floor. The system has been custom modified and critically aligned to project onto a large polished birchwood workspace that was designed to accommodate a 16x20 Saunders easel as well as a 16x20 vacuum contact easel.

I'm supposed to throw all of that away and replace it with someone else's curb trash just because someone thinks I shouldn't even try to extend the life of a bulb?

Really?

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My Omega B-8 uses the still-made, but somewhat uncommon PH 111A bulb. I'm still using the same bulb that came with the enlarger when I bought it used in 2006. I have about a dozen spares. I also got two extra Omega B lamphouses so that I'd have spares of the discontinued bayonet socket this bulb uses. I'll be 69 years old in a couple of weeks. I don't think I'll have to worry about running out of enlarging bulbs; I wouldn't even have to worry if I were forty years younger :-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ken, of course what i posted makes no sense... You have no foresight!

if you have so much invested in your set up n can't find a new bulb or adapt something else... It'll still become a piece of junk in few years despite your best efforts to extend the life of an already old almost dead bulb. All you are doing is prolonging the inevatable...

So my point Ken, was to start figuring a way to adapt before it dies... That perhaps is a better solution Ken. How about wiring in a similar more availabe bulb? There is absolutely nothing else in the entire word to remedy this?.... Stupid!

Yeah very entertaining how close minded this concept really is.... Changing seats on the Titanic.... The ship is sinking Ken!

Oh btw when your bulb dies.. That beautiful system will be as worthless as all the other trash finds by the curbside.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Yeah very entertaining how close minded this concept really is.... Changing seats on the Titanic.... The ship is sinking Ken!
    You're making a fool of yourself in public...

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hahaha thats just your opinion Ken.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm with Ken on this. I have just invested in (expensive) new tubes for my VCL4500. Why? Because the system I have works superbly. Seems simple to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks John. As you already know I also have a new set of those same VCL4500 tubes.

I spent almost two years working intensely together with Louise at LCD to get all of those discontinued Aristo replacement lamp grids back into production, just so I could buy a set for myself. (At the undiscounted full price, I might add.)

Now they are available for anyone who wants to keep their expensive Aristo standard and VC heads working like new. Or wants to by a used unit knowing they can likely refurbish it to like-new light output condition.

I'm stupid? I have no foresight? I need to find a way to adapt? Deck chairs on the Titanic?

He's clueless...

Ken

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Iwas taught very early in my darkroom carreerthat leaving the safelight on is betterthan turning them on and offall the time. worked for me .I use low-energy bulbs and just leave them on during a darkroom session.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin