Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,411   Online: 1108

Thread: Observations

Shooter
    Medium Format

Observations

Observations

I had just finished developing a roll of 120 film. I was putting everything away, when I actually looked at the box the Nikor autoloader came in. I acquired it a few years ago. I dragged a couple of Nikor tanks and reels with me from high school through the Navy back in the 50’s. I no longer use the tanks having dinked them enough they leak . I just assumed Nikor was Japanese, not so Made in America by Nikor Products Co West Springfield ,Mass. USA. The loader is for two films, 120 and 620. Gives you an idea of just how old it is and still in perfect condition. I wish I were.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That sounds interesting.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobmolson View Post
    ... I just assumed Nikor was Japanese, not so Made in America by Nikor Products Co West Springfield ,Mass. USA. ...
    This is (was) a common incorrect assumption. Folks assumed Nikor was associated with Nikon and its Nikkor brand. Just the coincidence of a similar name.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I wonder if there was some rebranding during the war? Nikor for Nikkor? Made in the US for Made in Japan (which probably would have been prohibited items to sell during wartime in the US)?

Shooter
    35mm
    Smith. Hinsdale Smith Jr.

December 18, 1997
    SMITH. Hinsdale Smith Jr., founder and former CEO of Nikor Products Company, died Saturday (Dec. 6, 1997) in Suffield. He was 96. From its 1930's beginnings in New York City until its sale in the mid-70's in Springfield, MA, Nikor Products had become the world's foremost supplier of stainless steel developing tanks and related specialty products. Born in Springfield, MA, the son of automotive pioneer, Hinsdale Smith Sr., who designed and produced the 1898 Automotor, one of America's earliest cars, and later patented the ''convertible'' caused Hinsdale Jr. to be raised in an engineering environment. Coincidentally, he also came from the same Eastman lineage which founded Eastman Kodak. While sometimes sported by his family humorously, both influences may have played a role in his uncanny ability to design complex equipment which he could do ''almost anything''. It ranged from special paper trimming, microfilm aperture card mounting, and label dispensing to his extensively patented tank and reel design which is still widely emulated by other manufacturers today. The lattermost patent and design played a key role in World War II when, after the bombing runs, aerial battle damage assesment photography needed rapid processing. Because of this need, Nikor Developing Tanks gained both national and international preeminence overnight, while the company was identified as a critical industry by the war department. A 1926 graduate of Dartmouth College where he developed a keen interest in celestial navigation, Mr. Smith became well-known in sailing circles as a former Corinthian and member of the Off- Soundings, Essex, and New York Yacht Clubs. Also, as an avid marksman who consulted frequently with Hartford/Springfield area firearms manufacturers, he helped found the Fox Hollow Gun Club-a favorite gathering spot in Suffield for sporting arms industry executives. Mr. Smith was also known as a popular amateur actor with the Suffield Players and former president of Rotary International in that town. Predeceased by his wife of more than 50 years, the former Marjorie Leighton of Boston, Mr. Smith leaves a niece and nephew, Cynthia N. Travers of Newton Centre, MA and Bruce H. Nichols of Clearwater, FL. A memorial service will be at the Suffield Calvary Episcopal Church Chapel at 2 p.m. Saturday, January 17, 1998. Nicholson & Carmon Funeral Home is in charge of the arrangement

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SpotF75 View Post
    Smith. Hinsdale Smith Jr.

December 18, 1997
    SMITH. Hinsdale Smith Jr., founder and former CEO of Nikor Products Company, died Saturday (Dec. 6, 1997) in Suffield. He was 96. From its 1930's beginnings in New York City until its sale in the mid-70's in Springfield, MA, Nikor Products had become the world's foremost supplier of stainless steel developing tanks and related specialty products. Born in Springfield, MA, the son of automotive pioneer, Hinsdale Smith Sr., who designed and produced the 1898 Automotor, one of America's earliest cars, and later patented the ''convertible'' caused Hinsdale Jr. to be raised in an engineering environment. Coincidentally, he also came from the same Eastman lineage which founded Eastman Kodak. While sometimes sported by his family humorously, both influences may have played a role in his uncanny ability to design complex equipment which he could do ''almost anything''. It ranged from special paper trimming, microfilm aperture card mounting, and label dispensing to his extensively patented tank and reel design which is still widely emulated by other manufacturers today. The lattermost patent and design played a key role in World War II when, after the bombing runs, aerial battle damage assesment photography needed rapid processing. Because of this need, Nikor Developing Tanks gained both national and international preeminence overnight, while the company was identified as a critical industry by the war department. A 1926 graduate of Dartmouth College where he developed a keen interest in celestial navigation, Mr. Smith became well-known in sailing circles as a former Corinthian and member of the Off- Soundings, Essex, and New York Yacht Clubs. Also, as an avid marksman who consulted frequently with Hartford/Springfield area firearms manufacturers, he helped found the Fox Hollow Gun Club-a favorite gathering spot in Suffield for sporting arms industry executives. Mr. Smith was also known as a popular amateur actor with the Suffield Players and former president of Rotary International in that town. Predeceased by his wife of more than 50 years, the former Marjorie Leighton of Boston, Mr. Smith leaves a niece and nephew, Cynthia N. Travers of Newton Centre, MA and Bruce H. Nichols of Clearwater, FL. A memorial service will be at the Suffield Calvary Episcopal Church Chapel at 2 p.m. Saturday, January 17, 1998. Nicholson & Carmon Funeral Home is in charge of the arrangement
    That's too bad. In just a few years an obit will be about some "who cares" computer program.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin