Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,779   Online: 1028

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    I think that a Paterson or other tank would probably leak on a rotary base, I think they're basically designed for inversion processing.
    I have never tried with my Paterson but my Arista Premium two reel tank definitely leaks. But they leak just doing inversion Fortunately it only happens every minute or so that way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are concerned about leaking, this may give you something to think about.

Temperature control might be a problem (I use it for B & W at room temperature).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails develop.jpg  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    3rd the recommendation for phototherm.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    If you already have a motorized roller base then you can use the Jobo 1500 or 2500 series drums to do rotary processing. Works really well for me, I do all formats up to 4x5 and then I do larger sheet film in Cibachrome and Unicolor drums. I figure someday I might spring for a Jobo machine and when I do I'll have all the tanks and reels I need.

I think that a Paterson or other tank would probably leak on a rotary base, I think they're basically designed for inversion processing.
    Hmm funny the inversion versions of JOBO tanks leak like hell on me, but my Paterson's never do, so I have such a bad view of JOBO equipment... I guess it's like buying a Honda and then looking at an Acura? I dunno, just had terrible experience with JOBO hand processors.

I've thought about trying out the roller machine that I have but I have perfected my hand processing for B&W work which requires sitting time, so it's sort of hard to consider constant agitation and have to figure out new times with all my film. And it doesn't submerge so color doesn't make much sense.

I'm surprised that the Cibichrome prints were ok to roll on that with no temp control.

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unicolor also made a film processing drum to be used with their roller motor base. The drum is adjustable in capacity and can hold about 6 35mm reels. The plastic reels are proprietary (not Paterson-compatible) come in 35mm and 120 flavors (not adjustable). I haven't used mine yet because I hardly ever have several rolls of the same kind ready for developing all at once.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    hey stone

i have a rotary processor, and never use it because it leaks like mad.
    if you want to use your rotary processor, do a test in a big plastic bin
    put x-cc's of chemistry in it ( like you are processing 6 rolls or sheets of film )
    seal it closed and run it and see how much ( if any ) water leaks out.
    the processor i have has seals ( more like plastic washers )
    that are thin and need to be schmeered with vasoline each use to maintain a good seal
    ( recommendation of the company that made / makes them ) but even then the tubes STILL leak a bit ..

jobos always seemed like a great thing, i almost bought one many years ago, but lack of money
    sank that boat ...

good luck !
    john

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post
    Unicolor also made a film processing drum to be used with their roller motor base. The drum is adjustable in capacity and can hold about 6 35mm reels. The plastic reels are proprietary (not Paterson-compatible) come in 35mm and 120 flavors (not adjustable). I haven't used mine yet because I hardly ever have several rolls of the same kind ready for developing all at once.
    Yea I think the motor base thing is a unicolor. I know I posted a picture of it somewhere on here but can't find it.

And thanks John, good idea with the bucket idea for leaks.

I've just never done rotary so I'm a little unfamiliar with it all. It's "scary" and new.

If it weren't so pricey it wouldn't be so bad, but I shoot 35mm, 120, and 4x5 (not to mention 116/616 and 70mm as well as 127...)...

So I need separate inserts/drums for each is what I'm hearing.

Plus as I mentioned the only space is my sink, I can STORE the machine in the basement but certainly can't get any drainage down there so that doesn't work.

What's killing film is all these extra things, it's fun and cheap to get started in B&W, $100 gets you everything you need to process 100 rolls... But then there's color, and it becomes insane...

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A CPP actually produces very little drain-waste...certainly not enough to over flow a small pail or bucket...I would say a liter at most, primarily because I like to give the innards a good rinse after processing. I generally use it up through the fix-remove and then wash a bunch of reels all at once in a spare 4 liter container, followed by photoflo. The lift uses a output tube that lets you "reclaim" any step of chemistry back into its original container.

As for figuring times, use manufacturer suggested times to start with as usual. I am meticulous as all hell when hand processing, but the jobo is even better, and i have never had a single blemish or hint of uneven development on film processed with it. Continuous agitation gets all this hub-bub on forums, most of it is a bunch of bullshit. It doesn't increase contrast, it doesn't increase granularity, it doesn't fuck up your color, and it certainly doesn't shorten development times. The agitation is so gentle (and adjustable, I might add) on a jobo that all it is doing is just refreshing the chemistry on a regular basis. You're more likely to introduce variables with intermittent inversion because you are introducing an interspersed binary pattern of development activity,

ie.

Inversion: 1-1-1-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1-1-1

Rotary: 1-0-1-0-1-0-1-0-1-0-1-0-1

Jobo used to brag that film manufacturers (namely kodak) used their processors to establish baselines for consistency. Don't know how much truth there is to that statement, but I wouldn't be surprised.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    What's killing film is all these extra things, it's fun and cheap to get started in B&W, $100 gets you everything you need to process 100 rolls... But then there's color, and it becomes insane...
    Lol!

You can't seriously be saying that shooting 100 rolls of C41 and E6 based color films without creating and sticking to a budget is killing film? When Christopher Burkett paid for his last batch of Ilfochrome, some 8,000 square meters, he had a budget....you need a budget. If after creating a budget for color you find you can not afford to process the film, then you can not afford to shoot color film.

I would just send it off to a good lab in batches when you can afford it if you can not afford to do it right, because ultimately, what is the time you spent shooting it worth if you were to screw up the processing? Heck, I have a CPP2 and can run color but have no interest in doing so, I am a photographer, not a lab enthusiast....
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Lol!

You can't seriously be saying that shooting 100 rolls of C41 and E6 based color films without creating and sticking to a budget is killing film? When Christopher Burkett paid for his last batch of Ilfochrome, some 8,000 square meters, he had a budget....you need a budget. If after creating a budget for color you find you can not afford to process the film, then you can not afford to shoot color film.

I would just send it off to a good lab in batches when you can afford it if you can not afford to do it right, because ultimately, what is the time you spent shooting it worth if you were to screw up the processing? Heck, I have a CPP2 and can run color but have no interest in doing so, I am a photographer, not a lab enthusiast....
    You're right, I have no budget, certainly not for color, but I would rather shoot some beautiful color images and eventually get them processed then not shoot them at all.

I have the budget to process some color film, it's the TIME that's killing me because hand processing 2 rolls in a warm tub at my sink when other people in the house need to use it (at every friggin hour) except from 11pm to 5am... So I process by hand overnight when I can afford the time and stay awake...

Now I know I would still have to be there to use the processor, but my arms wouldn't fall off and I could get a lot more done faster and with apparently less chemistry.

So, since you don't use that processor, you can just give it to me then right? LOL

Thanks Dan, as (almost) always you're absolutely correct, I need a more deliberate budget.... But being an actor and photographer and that's it, the income is sporadic and doesn't leave much room for budgeting. Hopefully soon I'll move out of the acting game and back to banking, then I will be able to budget for sure!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin