Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,706   Online: 1251

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Can someone explain JOBO Processors to me?

So I have about 40 rolls of E-6, and 60 rolls of C-41 that I need to process...

I usually HAND PROCESS with my Paterson tank, it takes me about 24 hours straight to hand process 20 rolls and then dry and scan them.

But I've never seen a processor, and have no concept of price or size or anything.

What are the advantages?

Are there some available for cheap/free?

Can you use the 3 bath home kits or do you need 6 bath 5L or 10L kits with processors?

Do you need a darkroom or are they loadable with a dark bag?

Can you do 35mm, 120, AND 4x5?

Thanks

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.jobo-usa.com/
    http://www.jobo.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ac..11.youtube.
    repeatable results. no streaking. low volume of chemicals required.
    any chemicals will do
    cheap/free? are you kidding me? check ebay's completed listings
    any size film up to 20x24
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a CPP2 with the lift and a number of drums, I use it for most of my film processing now, both b/w and c41.

They are not "cheap", but you can get a CPP with accessories for less than 1500 usually. I paid 500 for mine with all the drums (plus a Leica V35) but that was because I bought from a fellow photographer who I have known for a couple years.

You can pour just about any chemicals through them (not photo-flo, or any other surfactant/wetting agent...they leave residue.), and the loading process is the same as any other tank, with the exception that the reels are slightly different than paterson reels (imagine a combination of paterson and stainless reels, except twice as easy).

Depending on the drum you can process up to 20x24 media.

They're great, if you have the room/cash for one.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ps. Don't get a processor without a lift, you'll pay $$$ to add one separately later on.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can't speak for all of them buy mine is a smaller unit, the CPE2+. It uses standard 1500 or 2500 Jobo daylight tanks which use reels to hold the film. The reels can be loaded with film in a darkroom or in a changing bag. Once the tanks are loaded they are similar to any other daylight tank, including your paterson. Mine is pretty small and there are larger ones but I can develop 35mm, 120 or 4x5 sheet film using Jobo daylight tanks.

The primary advantages are temperature control and reduced consumption of chemicals as a rule. They function using continuous agitation so development usually occurs quicker than using intermittent agitation.

I use mine primarily to develop c-41 color though it can also be used for black & white and e-6. The instructions are available on-line which will give you a pretty good idea how the systems work. Just google Jobo and Cat-Labs.

I personally like the looks I get with color development and it is pretty consistent as long as I use consistent times and chemical mixing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    Ps. Don't get a processor without a lift, you'll pay $$$ to add one separately later on.
    +1 The lift is used to lift the tank to pour out the used chemicals after a cycle. Without this attachment you will have to disconnect the tank after each cycle, remove it from the bath to dump chemicals and add the next batch.

I love mine, did very little color until this came along.

I use Unicolor kits and now the new setup with separate bleach and fix from Cat-Labs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Go look at some youtube videos, that will make it clearer. In simple terms though, they are:
    - a recirculating heated water bath, temperature-controlled,
    - some bottles for holding chemicals (in the water bath),
    - a means of spinning a drum semi-submersed in the water (continuous agitation!), and
    - (lift option) a means a getting fluids into/out of the drum neatly.

You can do whatever chemical process/sequence you like in them, as long as all steps can be at the same temperature and the temperature is between your tap-water temp and about 45C. They're compatible with all film and print processes. They're made mostly of ABS plastic.

A CPP2+ (mine) is a bit more than 1m long, 35cm deep and about 40cm high including lift. With the lift raised (emptying the drum), it's about 1m high. Higher if you use a longer drum. A CPE is smaller.

Price: maybe $200 for a CPE (won't take 3xxx Expert drums), $500-$1500 for a CPP2 with drums and $3000? for a brand new CPP3. Drums range from $30 to $700 depending on what and how (un)common they are.

35mm, 120 and 220 all run in the standard 2502 spirals (they work like Paterson spirals but are slightly larger diameter) and drums. 4x5 requires either 2509 inserts (4 to 6 sheets) to go in 2xxx drums, or an Expert drum (e.g. 3010, often $500ish, does 10 sheets at a time). Drums have extension modules, so you can chain a couple together to make a longer drum out of a shorter one and put more film in it. I do 6 rolls of 120 on 3 spirals in a 2553 tank and find that my limiting factor is drying space (even with a powered drying cabinet!) not Jobo time.

Tank Capacities is an informative read since it tells you basically all the tank options that are available.

You load the tanks in a dark bag, same as a Paterson. They're light-tight once closed, so you process in daylight. A film tank will fit in your typical dark bag, but a 3010 is an annoyingly tight fit for a normal bag. The bigger drums (for big prints) will not fit in your average dark bag.
    Last edited by polyglot; 10-13-2013 at 08:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You might consider a square 3.5 gallon tank and cage system. For color, you might be able to find a stainless steel water jacketed system that someone is getting rid of for free/cheap. 3.5 gallons is a standard size for 8x10" hangers, 2 by 5x7", or 4 by 4x5". It been years since I've used tanks that size, but as I recall the basket held something like 24 stainless 35mm reels.

I have one cylindrical daylight tank that holds 12 35mm reels, so you can get them that big if you keep your eye out.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For film processing, you might consider a Phototherm Sidekick processor: http://www.phototherm.com/

They are available used, but certainly not for free! Phototherm supports used machines.

And they work fine with Paterson reels.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    PS they're (IMHO) great for RA4 printing. Using drums and a lift, you're not subjected to the developer stink and shouldn't become sensitised to it.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin