Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,127   Online: 860

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

What tool do you use to burn?

Hey guys,

I have a awesome image I'm trying to print and it given me fits in some of the more dence areas.. I was wondering what people use to burn? hand, hole punched out of cardboard..ect?

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Usually hands are good enough, but for more precision, I use dark red construction paper. Sometimes, it's just a simple hole, when it's more complicated, I place a box on the easel, project the image, put the paper on top, and trace the outline of the burn area with a pen. The cutout is made/used about 6" above the paper meaning the burn edges will be soft but fairly accurate. The use red paper because it doesn't bounce so much light around and so I can see the image while burning [I don't need to peek underneath].

-Tim

Shooter
    35mm
    I have in the past used my hands mainly, for a straight line such as a horizon, I use a sheet of paper held between the lens and board, and for smaller shapes I use another piece of paper with the approximate shape of the object or area I am burning in marked out then cut out with a craft knife.

If there is a horizon with a complicated line between the sky and the ground, I lower the head so that it is approx 8-9 inches above the board and draw an approximate outline of the the blurred image on a sheet of paper placed on the baseboard and then cut it out with the craft knife. It does not have to be that accurate. I then return the head to the original position, re focus and make the exposure for the lighter negative areas. When I am making the exposure with the shaped edge, I hold the paper mask approx 8-9 inches below the lens and this approximates the shape which I am trying to burn in.

Simple but quite effective.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I am very similar to Tim - 90% of the time it is my hands, or a simple piece of paper with a hole cut in it. For some more complex things, I will take a piece of paper, draw the shape of the image to be burned, and cut that out of the paper - then hold that above the print during burning.

The other thing that I do for dodging that may be helpful - especially when dodging something small like the eyes in a portrait is to take a piece of wire, and shape piece of plasticine on the end of it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the tips guys. I found a piece of black gator board lying in the shop here at work. Just cut a small square out in the center.

ToddB

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Two pieces of black board...one with a hole off-center. The second (hole-less) board is used if I need to get the holed-board down close to the paper and need to protect the rest of the paper form light.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cardboard sheets of various shapes and/or with various shapes/sizes of holes. I often hold two cards at the same time. One with the shapes or holes, and a second card to help refine shapes, use as a "shutter" for the first card etc. Whatever you need to get the job done, just make it.

The carboards I use are white on one side and black on the other. White faces up to help see, black faces down to prevent reflection/flare.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a match to burn!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I usually cut a hole in a piece of cardboard (back of notepad, manila folder, etc.).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For something really complex, a reduced size print with appropriately cut holes makes a useful burning tool.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin