Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,285   Posts: 1,535,258   Online: 941

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Dear Stephen,

As the reason for using a polarizing filter on an enlarger must be quite arcane, wouldn't it be better to ask the fellow directly? (And then get back to us. )

Neal Wydra
    If only I could unfortunately I cant but I can say he was one of the countries best mural printers. I was 23 when I worked along side him. I would say hello to him every day and all I ever got back was a nod of the head if I was lucky, he was notoriously quiet but technically brilliant. He knew every intricate function of the enlarger, The polarizing filter was no joke and it wasn't used for all prints but I'm still stumped as to what it was for. Shrugs guess I will never know.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess Steven asks here as that other printer is quite taciturn...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Possibly you can put 2 polarizers so he can have a variable ND filter.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    To darken the sky of course and hold back the exposure for the rest. Use the darkening part of the polarizer on the non sky part and it will get lighter the sky on the other hand about 1/3 stop darker as it receives about that amount more exposure. Of course it could be that I am talking complete rubbish but it kinda seems logical from my point of view.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could darken the sky if that light is polarized. What it partially is in nature.

On a film image though that polarisation will no longer be there.

The issue discussed here is about printing with a polarizer on the enlarger lens.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    I put A-1 on my pork chops. Everyone knows you're supposed to use Heinz 51. But I can't afford both So I eat more beef as a rule anyway, so I settle on A-1. So as it seems with the OP when he really needs a ND.
    On the other hand, if he shoots lots of lakes, inlets, and other water bodies and wants to see the fish below the surface in his prints and forgot to bring the polarizer when he shot it, then he uses it on his enlarger so the fish will print, instead of the glare off the lake.
    Two perfetly viable answers. There aren't any others.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You say he was a mural printer? Did he use a mirror under the enlarger to throw the image onto mural? If that's the case, then polarizer would make a lot of sense to eliminate the double image from the mirror. You see, unless you use the first surface mirror under the enlarger, you'll get two reflections - one from surface of the glass and another from the silver surface. It's been a while since I've taken the optics course, but polarizer might eliminate one and not the other as such improving sharpness of the image. However, I'm really just speculating here

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found some sources that claim that using polarized light in the enlarger gives deeper blacks and crisper clearer images

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Seems like an interesting way to slightly mess up the sharpness and color balance of what you're printing. The only thing I can think of, is that
    certain Durst enlargers could also be used as copystands, with a special sheet film holder (LARKA) going into the negative carrier position.
    Then the system could be cross-polarized, with polarizing sheets over the lights themselves, and cross-polarization on the lens. But for
    printing???? Makes no sense to me. I guess you could turn an enlarger into a giant polarizing macroscope if you had unlimited funds - that would be a fun pictorial project for rock slices thin enough to transmit light, but would probably be useless for true scientific purposes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anikin View Post
    You say he was a mural printer? Did he use a mirror under the enlarger to throw the image onto mural? If that's the case, then polarizer would make a lot of sense to eliminate the double image from the mirror. You see, unless you use the first surface mirror under the enlarger, you'll get two reflections - one from surface of the glass and another from the silver surface. It's been a while since I've taken the optics course, but polarizer might eliminate one and not the other as such improving sharpness of the image. However, I'm really just speculating here
    I like that explanation. The polariser will have no effect on metallic reflections, but will help to cut down front-surface reflections off non-metallic (glass) surfaces.

Was there a mirror involved when he was printing these murals?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin