Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,274   Online: 1041

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Why on earth would anyone use anything other than a front surface mirror in a serious optical system? But you'd still have to polarize the light in the first place. So no answer there. ... A long time ago there was an analog predecessor to holographic images, a Dupont Vectograph film,which you could enlarge onto, with polarized light I think, and create a 3D color print. A very complex process; and of course, nothing directly related to the present question, but interesting anyway. ... So I'm just going to take a wild guess and suggest that this guy might be practicing some kind of old wives' fable about printing, with no scientifically real advantage.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Perhaps he was trying to impress you by doing something that he knew you would not understand and he didn't either.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    "he was printing on a durst 2501"

Isn't that horizontal enlarger? If so, the mirror concept doesn't make sense.
    - Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I had heard that in the 'old days' (like the '30s) folks used to do things they felt gave them 'an edge' like spit in their developer. I wonder if this is the same sort of attempt to 'get an edge' on other printers.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Why on earth would anyone use anything other than a front surface mirror in a serious optical system? But you'd still have to polarize the light in the first place. So no answer there. ...
    A front surface mirror certainly would be preferable. It would require more care in an open mount than they do in a SLR. The mirror or prism as sometimes used on process cameras should work well. If one must use a rear surface mirror, the polarizer would reduce the ghost image from the front surface, although not quite eliminating it completely.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    "This student is really kinda strange. I haven't said anything in months and he still comes around. I know! I'll throw a polariser under the enlarger and really make him confused...he'll wonder about this for years to come!"
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    I found some sources that claim that using polarized light in the enlarger gives deeper blacks and crisper clearer images
    I have a source that claims the earth is flat.

Really. http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/w...sked_Questions I keep hoping it's a joke.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I have a source that claims the earth is flat.

Really. http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/w...sked_Questions I keep hoping it's a joke.
    That's the funniest thing I've seen all day

Even more funny because they seem not to be joking . . .

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It's an exercise in logical argumentation, actually.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    It's an exercise in logical argumentation, actually.
    There is a site out there that uses the flat earth silliness as just that, but I don't think it's the one I linked to. I hope not anyway.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin