Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,173   Online: 726

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Polarisers on Enlarger lenses?

I used to work along side an extremely talented printer who pretty much said nothing to me in the year and a half I knew him but i did watch on and something he did which made me extremely curious was on occasion he would print with a polariser on the enlarger lens....why would anyone do this?
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Extend exposure time??
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That was my thought too. Just to use the polariser as a neutral density filter in order to achieve a longer exposure time to get more control over the printing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    he was printing on a durst 2501 which had inbuilt ND filers ...exposure time was not the reason.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Glass carrier? Minimize Newton's rings?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Was it below the lens and attached in the traditional way? Was it a circular or linear? I imagine a CPL attached in the usual way (quarter-wave plate towards the film) would not be effective in eliminating newton's rings.

Did he know there were ND filters and/or had he exhausted their range? Was he pranking you?

Have you tried a polariser yourself to see if there is any difference other than ND?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe to intensify primaries beyond what is available to adjust on the head. Other than that, probably trying to reduce the light; it does sound quirky and offbeat. The exposure problems of using a polariser are well known beside what Polyglot has pointed out re newton rings. Go after him and bring him back, then we'll haul him before the Honorable APUG Jury!
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I put A-1 on my pork chops. Everyone knows you're supposed to use Heinz 51. But I can't afford both So I eat more beef as a rule anyway, so I settle on A-1. So as it seems with the OP when he really needs a ND.
    On the other hand, if he shoots lots of lakes, inlets, and other water bodies and wants to see the fish below the surface in his prints and forgot to bring the polarizer when he shot it, then he uses it on his enlarger so the fish will print, instead of the glare off the lake.
    Two perfetly viable answers. There aren't any others.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is the brochure for the Durst 2501: http://www.durst-pro-usa.com/pdf/bro...20BROCHURE.pdf

With a closed loop system like the one used on that enlarger, maybe polarization of the light has a role to play.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Stephen,

As the reason for using a polarizing filter on an enlarger must be quite arcane, wouldn't it be better to ask the fellow directly? (And then get back to us. )

Neal Wydra

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin