Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,518   Online: 1032

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is not only early Leicas that wind the film emulsion out.
    Last edited by AgX; 11-05-2013 at 08:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I had another type of weird problem with Patterson´s reels, the metal balls, when handled with nitrile gloves, produce sparks of light because of statics I guess. Not very good when you are trying to load ISO 3200 film. I don´t use gloves anymore to load my reels.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Score the balls lightly with a soft lead pencil. I use a 2B. Roll the pencil marks in with a finger tip. Some people say avoid putting the reels in wash aid but I do this then throw the reels into a bucket of hot water straight after pulling off the film. Then clean reels and balls with a tooth brush after hanging all the film and leave to air dry. If all else fails throw the reel in the bin! I did this last weekend with a particularly bothersome reel which has evaded all attempts at restitution. It wasn't a genuine Paterson - one of the cheaper imitations.
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixal8 View Post
    The original, clear, Paterson reels were difficult to load but the white ones are made from a self-lubricating plastic and work pretty well as long as they are perfectly dry.
    The only major issue is caused by a few early Leicas which rolled the film onto the take-up spool emulsion out. This gave the film a reverse curl which made it impossible to load!
    Have you tried cutting the leading edge of the film between the sprocket holes, not through them. Then trim off the leading corners just a touch at 45 degrees as this will stop them digging into the sides of the grooves so much.
    that's excacvtly whatv I did!,and it worked well.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format

Paterson reels

I run the reels through the dishwasher periodically. Helps remove any accumulated gelatin or other gunge, and the dishwasher's rinse aid helps them dry quickly and thoroughly. Oh yes, be sure to disassemble them before washing in any fashion, or water will be left in the "core" and show up when you don't want it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin