Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,057   Online: 784

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Any quick and easy, effective way to keep the little ball bearing loose on Patterson

Reels? The only problem I run into with these reels is the little ball bearing not moving freely. Any fixes other that using SS reels. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rip it out. It's not really necessary to have the ball bearing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    probably sticking up from water spot stuff buildup -- soak in vinegar to clean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Before loading each film I just poke each one loose (where necessary) with something small like a pen. It just takes a few seconds for each.

I also keep my reels quite clean.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hmmm,

Been a long time, but I always washed and then dried mine with a hair dryer.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a couple of reels left with the balls still in them, the rest have been removed. I only use them when I need all six reels at once, and then I make sure I clean them thoroughly with a toothbrush, hot water and detergent, Frankly, the next time I need all six reels, I'm going to pop the balls out of the last two. I find if the reels are clean and dry, the film slides on very easily without them. By and large, they're more bother than they're worth, IMO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I soak my reels in washing powder, you get a slight build up of gelatin on the reels which needs removing every so often depends on use how often I'm talking every few months with heavy use.

Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I have never personally had this problem with Paterson reels. I have had colleagues who encountered this problem and in every case it was due to the reels not being thoroughly dry. In one particular instance this was despite the reels having been left unused for several weeks. In this case the problem was solved by giving the reels a strong shake after use and then repeating the following day.

Bests,

David
    www.dsallen.de

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having acquired my reels from several sources and in new to well used condition, I used the vinegar soak solution with a toothbrush, followed by a good soapy water soak and clean water rinse. All the little balls seem to be rolling properly. A couple of reels are not Patterson and have stainless ball bearings. That seems like a reasonable approach. Given that I'm a little compulsive about keeping stuff clean and the fact that I use only well filtered rainwater for processing, my hope is for not sticky reel future. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Large Format
    The original, clear, Paterson reels were difficult to load but the white ones are made from a self-lubricating plastic and work pretty well as long as they are perfectly dry.
    The only major issue is caused by a few early Leicas which rolled the film onto the take-up spool emulsion out. This gave the film a reverse curl which made it impossible to load!
    Have you tried cutting the leading edge of the film between the sprocket holes, not through them. Then trim off the leading corners just a touch at 45 degrees as this will stop them digging into the sides of the grooves so much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin