Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,762   Posts: 1,516,157   Online: 947

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Leitz enlargers are different. The 35mm negative carrier is open at the top and the negatives are pressed down flat by the bottom condenser with an anti-Newton ring glass plate in between. It makes for a very flat negative. If the autofocus is set perfectly on the Focomats, you will get totally reliable focus every time you change image size. If you exceed the print size for autofocus, the manual focus is controlled by a helicoid focus system--no bellows involved which prevents any possible slippage. The enlargers take big frosted #211 or #212 bulbs and the enlarger heads are rather large with a silvered internal surface that makes for an especially fine quality of the projected light. They came with very high quality Leitz Focotar lenses that were known to be extremely sharp even at maximum aperture (although I've used Schneider and El-Nikkor lenses on them and they look every bit as good to me). For 35mm, the Leitz enlargers are outstanding.

(Damn. I've almost talked myself into getting that old Valoy out of the attic.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry for the duplication, Emile. We posted almost at the same time. Great minds thinking alike.

Great minds! Has a nice ring to it

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The focomat is sweet to be sure, but it is not magic. Granted I haven't used it with a focotar, but a good 6 element nikkor. I can't say the prints from the focomat are any better than those from my beselar.It certainly is a nicer machine to use. The auto focus is a delight, the alignment is on the money and the whole machine is just extremely well made. Whether or not it makes prints better than other machines I can't say.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a Fujimoto dichroic head enlarger that I used for 35mm until I found the Leitz Valoy at a garage sale, complete with a Leitz 50/4.5 Focotar lens. I paid $7.00 total for the whole thing with a copy camera attachment. After I rewired the Valoy and used it for one printing session, I got rid of the Fujimoto. I've also used various Omega and Beseler enlargers in the past, as well as my current LPL. No comparison.

I don't know how or why but a print from the Leitz enlarger just plain looks better than from any other enlarger I've owned. There is a subtle quality to the grey tones I don't see on other prints from a 35mm negative. It really has little to do with the Leitz lens because I used a 50/2.8 El-Nikkor most of the time simply because the brighter image on the easel was easier on my aging eyes, especially when using filters. But having to remove the lamphouse to place filters on the condenser and not being able to use a 4-blade easel effectively and having limited ability to crop and a few other PITA circumstances made me switch to a newer, more convenient to use enlarger. I still have the Valoy. If I ever am able to set up a larger darkroom, it will be back in use in a heartbeat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    ... and sell everything else to finance the purchase
    of neg holders (if needed), lens boards/cones/lens turret,
    and a dichroic head for the D2. Good luck. Jay
    Did small format condensers slip your mind? Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin