Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,694   Posts: 1,482,501   Online: 1014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

converting a shed into a darkroom

Hi,

For anyone interested in converting a shed into a darkroom i wrote a tutorial on how i did mine http://www.twelvesmallsquares.blogsp...-i-am-man.html

I have also done a tutorial on how to make some inner doors which you can find here http://www.twelvesmallsquares.blogsp...d-darkrom.html

hopefully this will be useful to someone

Images
    I used a 9x13 shed at my old house as my darkroom. I did install an old kitchen sink and faucet and plumbed the cold water to the outside with a hose bib on the end. Just had to connect a hose from the house to the bib and had cold water for print washing. The drain was plumbed out to the grass. Also ended up installing a small AC unit in one of the windows because the New Mexico summers get really hot. It was a pain to get up and running but when I did, it work like a charm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    How did you deal with warm water for warming chemicals / pre-wash / etc?

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice, regarding the vent U shaped pipes, light can't travel around corners so use a sort of U shaped chimney made with plastic pipes or oven pipes, the pipes have to be painted dead matt on the inside. See att. for ideas. (note the pipes sizes are exagerated)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ventilation.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	76146
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ventilation.jpg  
    Last edited by MDR; 10-28-2013 at 12:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Much the same as mine ( http://grahampatterson.home.comcast..../darkroom.html ), though I had the building and just had to insulate and panel it.

I find an electric kettle is more than adequate for warming up solutions. A litre or two of near boiling water goes a long way. I have a stainless steel jug that does a good job when stood in a bath of hot water.

Having a Jobo for film work takes care of a lot the temperature issues. I also have a small space heater that can stabilize the temperature in the building in an hour or so. Not that it gets much below freezing in this part of California.

Note about electric heat sources - watch your total wattage if you are using an extension or distribution block on the end of an extension. An RCD/GFCI device in the line would be wise as well.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    All good suggestions here. no idea what an RCD/GFCI device is im afraid! For heating i use a jobo for film and a plate warmer for tray processing. its only an 8'x6' shed so it warms up pretty quickly on body heat alone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Basically devices that detect ground faults, that is standing water a touching and electrical device or outlet. Could save your life. In the U.S. it is a code requirement within so many feet of a water source.. six feet I think.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What Bob said. GFCI = Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter.

It looks the same as a regular outlet except that it has a test button in the middle. If something goes wrong with the grounding, such as a short caused by moisture, current will immediately cease. If you don't already have them in your house, as long as you have a ground wire present you can replace your existing outlets with them -- easy to do.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ah ive got one of those built into my extension lead so should be ok hopefully

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's pure genius! If you want something bad enough, once can figure out a solution. My friend is an avid outdoorsman and he has a kayaks and other items he stores in his Tough Shed. He told me it's not that expensive and it's assembled pretty quickly.

http://tuffshed6.reachlocal.net/
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin