Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,834   Online: 850

Shooter
    35mm

Kit suggestions for a processing beginner (found one, included inside) (B&W 35mm)

Hi guys,

I would like to learn processing B&W film. Processing is super expensive here in Europe, and it looks fun and isn't that hard from what I hear. Anyway I was wondering if you could recommend good yet affordable kits with all the accessories and chemicals etc to get started. A kit with a guide would be nice.

I found this one (I'm French and it's in French but maybe you can google translate the page, or i'll try to translate it below) :
    69.90 euros

1 tub AP Compact for 2 films with 2 spires[/B]
    (can process 2 films 135 or 1 film 120),
    1 Thermometer 0 to 45°C
    1 Test tube 100ml
    2 pincers for film made of plastic (one with lead),

3 Films 135 black and white 36 poses (24x36) :
    Kodak Tri-X 400, Tmax 100 et Tmax 400,

1 Tetenal Ultrafin Plus 200ml (Revealer for B&W film -Révélateur film Noir et Blanc
    1 Tetenal Superfix Plus 250ml (Fast fixator - Fixateur rapide),
    1 Tetenal Mirasol 2000 250 ml (Wetting agent - Agent mouillant)

Also they say it's optional and not necessary but very recommended, to also get (at extra cost) this chemical :

FOMA FOMACITRO 250ML - 4.50 €
    http://www.caddyphoto.com/product_in...oducts_id=1418
    I believe it's to avoid the pictures fading away in the long run, throughout time.

Is this pack a fair deal ? Any suggestions or other packs welcome ! Thanks a lot !

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruger View Post
    Hi guys,

I would like to learn processing B&W film. Processing is super expensive here in Europe, and it looks fun and isn't that hard from what I hear. Anyway I was wondering if you could recommend good yet affordable kits with all the accessories and chemicals etc to get started. A kit with a guide would be nice.

I found this one (I'm French and it's in French but maybe you can google translate the page, or i'll try to translate it below) :
    69.90 euros

1 tub AP Compact for 2 films with 2 spires[/B]
    (can process 2 films 135 or 1 film 120),
    1 Thermometer 0 to 45°C
    1 Test tube 100ml
    2 pincers for film made of plastic (one with lead),

3 Films 135 black and white 36 poses (24x36) :
    Kodak Tri-X 400, Tmax 100 et Tmax 400,

1 Tetenal Ultrafin Plus 200ml (Revealer for B&W film -Révélateur film Noir et Blanc
    1 Tetenal Superfix Plus 250ml (Fast fixator - Fixateur rapide),
    1 Tetenal Mirasol 2000 250 ml (Wetting agent - Agent mouillant)

Also they say it's optional and not necessary but very recommended, to also get (at extra cost) this chemical :

FOMA FOMACITRO 250ML - 4.50 €
    http://www.caddyphoto.com/product_in...oducts_id=1418
    I believe it's to avoid the pictures fading away in the long run, throughout time.

Is this pack a fair deal ? Any suggestions or other packs welcome ! Thanks a lot !
    I notice you mention processing expensive here in Europe, but notice your location is India. Is it a kit you particularly wanted, because all you need to get started is a spiral tank, some dev and fix?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Well it's not a kit I particularly want but I assume that you need that stuff no ? Like the thermo, the pincers etc otherwise how do you monitor everything ? I mean i'm not an old rugged photographer that can do all this with feeling ^^.

You are right about the location, I was in India for an internship when I created the account and forgot to change that.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    revelateur = developer
    fixateur = fixer

The fomacitro is a stop bath, it is not truly necessary, but is the normal step between developer and fixer, and is recomended.

I think you will need in addition some sort of measuring cup or graduated cylinder to measure the amount of developer your are using in the tank, it will be more than 100 ml so 1 litre would be better for that. The smaller one would be better for measuring concentrates before mixing I think.

Are these chemicals fresh? If not, I wouldn't buy them used, they are perishable. Same thing applies to the film.

Another step you mind want to include is hypo clearing agent, after the fixer, which will assist in the washing out of the fixer from the film. This is optional, but reduces the wash times.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Required basics:

• Developing tank with spiral(s).
    • Thermometer - Either digital or analogue
    • Graduated beakers or cylinders for mixing chemicals (100ml, 600ml, and 1000ml)
    • Strong clothes pegs
    • Chemicals:
      • Developer
      • (optional) Stop - Either citric acid or acetic acid
      • Fixer
      • (optional) Wetting agent - Ilfotol, Photoflo, or a drop of washing up detergent.

The clothes pegs can be used to hang the films up to dry. A small weight on the bottom helps to keep the strips from curling up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi ,

Not sure if you listed some "device" to open the film can ? Might be helpful, though there are other ways to open it.

I do film development without the stop bath.

Lars

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin