Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,924   Posts: 1,585,008   Online: 1065

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Depends what you are doing and just how accurate the rest of your system is, relative to your own format and standards. In my case it makes a helluva difference. Often I want a very shallow depth of field focused strictly upon a color dye cloud and not upon an attached black and white mask or even an immediate anti-newton pattern, on meticulously detailed large prints held perfectly flat on a precision vacuum easel. So in such cases I'm not likely to trust a magnifier where the mirror is backed by a cardboard shim that can expand and contract with humidity changes. I didn't collect very high-quality enlarging and process lenses just for the privilege of being sloppy with focus... And that's the easy stuff. I also sometimes make very precise dupe and internegs thru enlargement where circumstances are even more demanding.
    So this gives me a pretty good idea of what works well and what doesn't. If you paper is all curled in your easel, about all you can do is
    stop down and guess what is going on. Never assume your magnifier is correct, or that your enlarger is properly adjusted, or even that the
    cheapie little level or laser you bought to check it is actually level. Might not matter to some. Might matter a lot to others.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    ... maybe I should have simplified what I just stated.... I consider a decent pair of reading glasses to be more useful for focus than a cheap
    grain magnifier. Literally.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thortons edge of darkness has a whole chapter about this. He ended up using a modified megasight with an additional lens to magnify the view. Im not a fan of the image the megasights have, i prefer to magnify and view the grain itself. The 25x microsight is good and isnt too expensive. I got a peak 1 awhile ago and have never looked back, just have to check that the calibration hasnt been nudged as its very easy to when taking off the eyepiece cap. That and a fine focusing knob will make printing easier and more accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin