Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,785   Online: 1012

Shooter
    Multi Format

Leitz Valoy enlarger filter holder - DIY . . .

Here's a simple DIY under-the-lens filter holder for the original Leitz Valoy enlarger. It is simply a wire bent to shape and then painted. When installed it grips the post that supports the red-filter assembly. And by design it can be moved out of the way, as needed. Enjoy!

Attachment 76785 Attachment 76782 Attachment 76786 Attachment 76784
    Last edited by DannL.; 11-11-2013 at 07:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    6X4.5cm, 6x6cm/6x9cm, 6x7cm, 5x4, 4x5, Half-Plate, 5x7, Full-Plate, 8x10, 12x10

Shooter
    35mm
    Very nice !! I love the look of the bent wire in the first picture. Simple and original.

Can you also show us the post that supports the unit? I want to understand how this works on the Valoy.

I have done something similar with the Valoy II (replaced the redfilter with a Beseler filterholder). And also with the first version (no filterdrawer) Focomat 1C. I have left out the redfilter because I never use it, but your solution will help those who do.

So nice to be able to print with these beautiful enlargers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, these enlargers are little gems. I felt very lucky to find this one with the original lens and easel. Here's a picture with the post to which I am referring. To install . . . unscrew the bottom nut, place the coiled end of the holder over the post, and reinstall the nut. I hope that helps. Or were you referring to the post that supports the enlarger?

Attachment 76809

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe Focomat Ic do not have such a long screw.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    35mm
    I was referring to the post that holds the redfilter, and your filter holder. I wasn't sure if that's original Valoy, or that you also made this post . . . So, if I understand well: the post is original and normally one takes the bottom nut out to remove, or install the redfilter?

Never seen this type of Valoy . . . just curious

I use Beseler filter holders for Both Valoy II and the Focomat 1C. See attached pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Valoy & Filter holder.jpg   Focomat 1C & filter holder.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @Hilo Really well maintained enlargers there...
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suspect there's about 20 years of evolution between the Valoy that I have (~1936), and the Valoy II. That could answer why there's a difference in design. But, still there are the similarities between the two.

. . . and I agree. That Valoy II is perty. Mine, not so. I found my Valoy in an antiques store about five years ago. It sat there and about once a month I would visit and pass it by. Last month I asked the owner if he was ready to sell it, and he dropped the price on the spot. Bingo!
    Last edited by DannL.; 11-12-2013 at 10:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Back to your bent wire: did you do that yourself? Is it easy to do?

It does open up all kinds of possibilities. I'm thinking 1C and 2C mostly. Their "non filter tray" versions are easy to find at good prices. And it is such a pity if these beautiful enlargers fade away, just because they don't support multigrade printing.

To be honest I am not one very much in favor of getting expensive color/split etc heads. I prefer to keep these enlargers in their original condition. No offence meant btw, I am sure people get beautiful results with the various modern enlarger heads.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilo View Post
    Back to your bent wire: did you do that yourself? Is it easy to do?

It does open up all kinds of possibilities. I'm thinking 1C and 2C mostly. Their "non filter tray" versions are easy to find at good prices. And it is such a pity if these beautiful enlargers fade away, just because they don't support multigrade printing.

To be honest I am not one very much in favor of getting expensive color/split etc heads. I prefer to keep these enlargers in their original condition. No offence meant btw, I am sure people get beautiful results with the various modern enlarger heads.
    Si. I took a long piece of wire and wrapped it around the handle of an artists paintbrush a number of times. Then I formed the big loop by hand, and used needle-nosed pliers to fold the sharp end over. And there you have it.

Now I need to post the directions for making a negative carrier for the Valoy, or any enlarger. I wonder how many folks don't use their enlargers because they haven't found a carrier?
    Last edited by DannL.; 11-12-2013 at 02:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin