Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,393   Online: 733

Shooter
    35mm

Bulk Roll paper dispenser

I have just about had enough of Fuji paper, it is too thin and the gloss surface seems to mark very easily when it is wet. The only things going for it are it's cost per box and the fact you can still get it in cut sizes.

I have been looking at Kodak rolls of RA4 paper which will work out cheaper per print/sheet than Fiji and is thicker based too. I will need to make a dispenser which will adjoin my 16" guillotine to cut the size I want. I have a basic design mapped out, (Taking 12" or 16" width paper) but what material to use is holding me up before I start. Basically it will have to be in wood or wood based, but would any residual odour from the wood (Pine or other softwood) cause any long term problems with storage of the paper. I could of course use plastic laminated wood but that would make it too heavy and awkward, especially if it was the 16" size.

Metal fabrication is out of the question and black acrylic sheeting I feel would be too costly and difficult to join at the edges get it completely light tight.

Any thoughts please
    Last edited by BMbikerider; 11-13-2013 at 11:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's at least one thread on roll paper dispensers already here on APUG, with some designs by members.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, but I have my own design, I was just asking if wood used in the construction could possibly contaminate the paper. I will look and see if I can find the old threads.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are concerned with the wood contamination, seal it with a good quality polyurethane finish, and let it cure for a couple of weeks prior to use.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could seal it with latex paint, perhaps in black. Should be fine.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just painted mine with a black paint from a cheap spray can that I bought in Walmart. To test the dispenser, I kept several large sheets of color paper in it for 6 months, and processed them a few weeks ago. I don't see any issues either from light leaks or from wood.
    By the way, my box is made of the cheapest plywood I found in Home Depot. No issues.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_5847.JPG   DSC_5846.JPG   DSC_5843.JPG   DSC_5850.JPG   DSC_5851.JPG  

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anikin View Post
    I just painted mine with a black paint from a cheap spray can that I bought in Walmart. To test the dispenser, I kept several large sheets of color paper in it for 6 months, and processed them a few weeks ago. I don't see any issues either from light leaks or from wood.
    By the way, my box is made of the cheapest plywood I found in Home Depot. No issues.
    Nice looking unit... how do you cut the paper and determine length of paper pull?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Nice looking unit... how do you cut the paper and determine length of paper pull?
    Thank you. It seems to work well for me. I use a cordless trimmer (Google: SKIL 2352-01) against the edge of the box. I simply put the dispenser on a table just far enough from the edge for the desired length. In the dark, I open the dispenser and pull the paper to align along the edge of the table and trim it off along the edge of the box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    First class and then some.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin