Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,344   Online: 767

Shooter
    35mm RF

Loading 400ft Motion Picture film into Bulk Loaders

Hi Guys!

Sorry to sound stupid but I've recently came across the idea of shooting motion picture film on 35mm cameras and have been fascinated by it.

One good point is that motion picture film seems cheaper.

I am planning to get a bulk loader but it usually only comes in 100ft - so how do i actually split the 400 ft of film into 4 x 100 ft?

I've not gotten hold of a bulk loader before but i don't suppose these come with loading reels inside, as i'm under the impression most 100ft rolls (such as ilford bulk rolls) comes with the film and the spool, you merely chuck it inside and start loading.

If i want to pull the film straight from the 400ft roll, is there anything i can do to help myself count and prevent myself from making an absolute mess of the film - especially if it unravels? I'm not quite sure how to unspool the 400ft of film into smaller reels while maintaining the tension of the film, and also being accurate with it's length as i am not sure if bulk loaders can hold more than the stipulated 100 ft.

I apologise if i sound amateurish but i'm truly facing a dilemma and i hope some wise brothers here can help me out with my predicament.

Many many thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Cine to bulk loader

I do it easily by putting the 400' roll into a changing bag along with the bulk loader and scizzors. Wearing cotton gloves, I just start rolling off film into about 4" roll and snip. Load the bulk loader, put covers on both. You don't need the center spool or to measure exactly 100' either. Works the same for 1000' rolls also.
    Gun Control is like: Reducing drunk driving by making it harder for SOBER people to buy cars.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Are you shooting color? If you are and processing at home you have to clean off the remjet backing. If you're having a commercial still picture lab do it the remjet will make a mess of their machines. Back in the day cinematographers would shoot pm film to test different film stocks. There used to be labs that we're set up to process it too, of course. If you're shooting b&w it should work out fine. BTW, you can buy what are called "short ends" very cheaply, like 5 to 10 cents a foot. They'll be about 150 to 200ft for the really cheap ones. Reelgoodfilm.com. Recans are quite a bit less than full price as well. Have fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ORWO sells their 35mm cine film in 100 ft rolls for about $50. N-74 film is 400 speed, UN-54 is 100 speed film.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a method on my web site. Or you can get Double-X on 100ft roll ready for a bulk loader here.
    Andy
    Per Mare, Per Terram
    Filmus Monochromus | Project Double-X | Daily Blog

Shooter
    35mm RF
    you need a core or a spool the spool is the easiest.

remove tape on can carefully and zip into cbag

open can in cbag leave 400 foot in lower can with can flat and detach end sticker and wind unto spool by turning spool to turn film in can till spool is full snip and fit spool into daylight loader

stick sticker back or use big elastic band

refit can top unzip bag and stick can back together with tape

takes 30 mins that is the only hard part someone will send you a reel or you can get them on eBay. Three reels and a 1 inch core allow the whole can to be loaded into x100 foot cans or boxes.

some cine is on a 2inch core and needs a 1 inch inner

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin