Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,698   Posts: 1,549,098   Online: 1105

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

New Enlarger - Strange ring around image

Hi,

I recently acquired a Durst M605 Colour enlarger and when I turned it on I noticed a weird ring shape being shown. I've attached the image. Can someone tell me if there is something wrong with the enlarger?

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails enlarger weird ring-2205.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG!

When you adjust the focus, does the image improve?

Is the head turned slightly from the vertical?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Matt. When I have a negative in the carrier and I adjust the focus the image seems to focus without any issues. I also check and the head is set to 0 degrees. I noticed the top half of the head moves when I insert the negative carrier and there is significant light leak on one side of the carrier. It doesn't seem to sit flush.

I've attached another image to show the weird square and ring. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	enlarger weird ring-2209.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	77273
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails enlarger weird ring-2205.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There may be something astray in the light path.

It has been years since I used a Durst M6xx series enlarger, and even longer since I had one opened up.

You probably need to attract the attention of one of the Durst users here on APUG. For future reference, it would probably help if you had included Durst M605 in the thread title. No one would mind if you started another thread for that purpose, and linked to it here.

Have you checked the manual?: http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-c...Durst_M605.pdf
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Matt I'll take a look at the manual and repost with a different title.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    teekoh, if you can twist your body enough to get your eye up to the enlarger lens, you'll be able to look inside and likely see what the problem is.

It'll be bright, so you might want to use an extra-dense negative, or neutral density filtration, or even sunglasses. If it's too bright for you, don't persist. (If your eye can't focus, rack the enlarger lens in a bit, as though making a very large print.)

I've never used one of those enlargers, but my guess is that a light baffle or similar is not fully seated. Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As it us a Durst, it depends on the light being reflected by a mirror. The mirror itself may be damaged or out of position.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I took a look inside and noticed the square is in fact created by the light baffle which was confirmed by moving it up and down. The strange circle is actually a silhouette of the piece of metal underneath the negative carrier and above the light baffles. I have no idea what the purpose of that round metal piece is for however. It's held in place by several screws so I'm guessing it serves a purpose somehow. I'm going to see if I can locate the mirror and figure whether it has been dislodged.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think we may have a terminology problem.

I don't know of any light "baffles" that one might find below the negative holder.

There should be a bellows, a lens stage, a lens panel and a lens below the negative holder. As you adjust the focus, the bellows stretches/compresses and the lens stage, panel and lens move up and down.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My M605 does the same thing (the circle anyway), I figured that's just the way things are with these pieces. Doesn't bother me since the circle always fall outside the paper when I'm printing, and it doesn't seem to fog the paper either.
    "Art is is a picture of some dude I never met smoking under a lamppost at 6400 ISO and in BW."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin