Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,157   Online: 829

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    ..... I think converting your head to an LED source is a great idea. I think there are discussions of this project in this forum and elsewhere on the internet. Also, this company is making LED enlarger heads:

http://www.modernenlargerlamps.com/M...s/Welcome.html......

I agree with the LED conversion suggestion. The conversion service listed above is for Omega enlargers, so I would look for a used Omega—they are very plentiful, and inexpensive, and would be easier to use than the Zone 6.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    I wonder if anybody knows if the blue light in a non VC Zone vi is the same blue light in the VC version?
    that would explain the long printing times and the high contrast of the OP
    If you do a search you will come across reports of using a single tube Zone VI or Aristo unit being used with VC filters. Some people have had success, albeit with grades rather unevenly spaced. Some have in addition placed a yellow filter permanently over the light in addition to the chosen VC filter. However, some have reported it to be very unsatisfactory because the light is mostly blue. Maybe there were changes to the tube phosphors over decades of manufacture. The company that took over Aristo can make tubes to order, and they have a single tube with extended spectrum to improve VC filter use.

I had 30 years ago a 4x5 Zone VI single tube lamp and I found it rather dim with smaller negatives, though with 4x5 it was ok. The light looked very blue to me. I suppose it worked despite being dime because it was so blue. I never tried it with VC paper and filters though.

You might find some of these articles interesting:

http://www.light-sources.com/specialty/products/aristo

The company will make new tubes. They are expensive. For details search apug for ken nadvornick.

e.g.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/8...an-2011-a.html

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sorry for the delayed answer,week's been tough.

Thank you all for your answers.
    It will take a bit of time for me to digest it all and look for my options but all your posts certainly are useful.
    I'll update ASAP.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin